Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the 1950 M John Deere I acquired a couple months ago beside my 1944 A. Its going to get a full blown restoration. Any thing that isn't in good working order is getting replaced inside and out. It may take me a while because I will have to do a little at a time but I will get it done.

I have already done a full tuneup on it and adjusted timing correctly. Replaced one front hubcap. Replaced front axle clamps(has adjustable front end). Brand new seat frame and seat cushions. Brand new radiator. New oil gauge. New valve cover breather. Replaced all wiring. Still 6 volt system. Getting starter and genny rebuilt to good as new when money allows. Had carburetor rebuilt by PopinJohn in New York(He did a great job).

Anybody know what this was used for? I'm going to take it off and sell it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have had the A for 11 years me and my dad restored it together. The M is gonna be a project for me and my girlfriend. She loves the M. Together dad and I have 8 tractors 4 John Deeres, 2 Farmalls, 2 Allis-Chalmers. I have the 1944 A, 1950 M and 1957 WD45.

·
-Willy-
1,420 Posts

My guess is that some one wanted possibly power like a belt drive at a lower speed than the pto or even the pulley. Certainly a interesting job. No idea why tho.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Nice M.. My guess would be it was used to run a implement of some sort. Maybe a corn planter or such?? I've seen a gear mounted on an axle to use with a chain to drive an implements before. Maybe this is someones homemade idea? I can see the paint worn were maybe a belt was riding

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Here is a update of the M after cleaning it up and putting on decals since it won't be painted up nice for a while. I tried many times on photobucket to resize the pic and it didn't work.
Added a chrome stack...pretty much the only thing I'm gonna do that won't be original. Installed new steering wheel. Throttle lever has been broke and welded. I got a new one waiting to go on. Set screw hole was hollowed out on throttle rod..I got a good used one off of ebay.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Looking Good!! I've give up on photobucket. I used to love how the pictures showed up on this site, but now everything is chopped off

·
-Willy-
1,420 Posts
As to posting from photobucket. Some of it may be site software. The pics have uploaded seem to come out fine if I resize them to 800x600.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts