Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I justgot my engine back into the Model "M" so now I turn attention to other problems.

I don't expect a 1947 manual steering tractor to be easyto steer, but something is amiss. All the exposed steering arms, ball and socket joints etc. look good, but it is just a workout to make it turn and there is a lot of play in the steering box up top.

Is there an adjustment for that or is that worm gear worn out and binding perhaps?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The worm gear looks good after opening the steering box. With adjustment, I did get most of the play out. Must be binding somewhere else.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tierod ends are non-grease zerk fitted originals and are frozen or nearly so. This a a tractor I'm steadily restoring. Not all these tierod parts are available, so I willhave to rebuild the tierod assemblys with whatever parts I can get to fit.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Try asking your questions on greentractortalk.com , it is a forum for just John Deeres and they have a section Johnny Poppers that has a lot of info.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Gary, I'll have a look. I've ordered tie rod ends. The front end width will no longer be adjustible with the direction this takes me, but I don't use that feature anyway. I think I can modify the rods (draglink) to accept inner tie rod ends for the outer end (in place od the OEM part)..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts