Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been mulling over the idea of restoring our old john deere mt (narrow front x 2 wheels) vs selling it unrestored. It runs great, powerful and strong mechanically with good sheet metal, but the tires are dry rot garbage. I got sticker shock at the price of these new tires. I'm being quoted $600 a piece for the rear (10-34) and $200 for the front. That is almost $1500 in tires alone. With a little paint, a seat and some small cosmetics it would look great. What is the value of these tractors restored/unrestored these days? My math skills are poor but I'm not sure that a restoration is financially worth it given that 90% of my restoration cost is in tires alone. Used tires are pretty hard to come by in this size and cheapen the restoration. I get that restoring is a passion and not financially driven in a lot of cases but the cost of tires is mind numbing. Frustrated... also because I have 2 allis model b's that will need tires too! Surely others are struggling with the cost of rubber too..

·
-Willy-
1,420 Posts
These tractors are a thing of love. You cant use them to make money. IE to flip it to make more money. If you love your tractor and it needs new tires, then its a cost you will swallow. Yet you wont need to change the tires again in your lifetime. That is unless you destroy a sidewall. The thing about tires???? If they are still holding air and they have some tread, then your throwing your money away to get new treads. If they are currently flat, put a tube in there and inflate. Unless it has a split in the sidewall you are golden. Farm tires are inflated about 10-20 psi (1 lug on the ground either side touching) to work it. If your in parades alot and are only driving it around, 20-25 psi.

That being said..... Tractors are generally going for anywhere from $500 to a grand unrestored. Yet this depends on the model and rarity. Restored I have seen MT's listed for around 4 grand, yet mind you this isnt the sale price as people rarely get list price. You can say it, and not budge from it, get alot of tire kickers and possibly sell it in time at the 4k price. Or more than likely haggle with a person, take a partial trade and cash and get a close to value of 4k.

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
You will never get the price of the tires back. There are nicely restored MT's on craigslist often around here for 3k and down. Even if you can freshen it up and paint it for 1500 you're breaking even. You will make more selling it as is...it's worth more restored but the profit margin is higher unrestored.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes, tires are a big expense. My MT has had 36" wheels and tires put on it and they are badly cracked...but not bad enough to replace. 36" are cheaper than 34 but still high. Even if all you do is take care of the mechanicals to resell as a working tractor, implements for the MT are hard to find and unless all it is needed for is drawbar work or it has had a 3-pt added, your market might be pretty small. I bought mine to play with and am not bothered by the correct police so I am doing it on the cheap.....and sometimes that ain't cheap.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, the build is back on! Just found some new firestones for $281 per tire! That is doable. Was going to add some nice chrome finishing touches (not a textbook rebuild) more of a resto-mod (sorry purists...). Anybody ever try to put a true glasspack and echochamber on these unique sounding engines? Chromed that would look pretty sweet.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mine just has a chrome straight pipe on it. Let's just say the neighbors all look out the window when I take it for a spin.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just wondered if the glasspack might accentuate the pop sound. As long as it doesn't sound like a fart muffler on a Japanese car! Any ideas on the step up you mentioned in your thread? Getting on these is a pain...

·
-Willy-
1,420 Posts
A glass pack might be a bit louder. You can even get I think it is a generic muffler from NAPA. Yet if you want to kill your hearing, why not straight pipe it? If you do, get a pipe where the exhaust blows to the side at the end. That way you wont get rain down the stack.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't want to kill my hearing. Quite frankly, competitive shooting has done that quite well. Not the goal here. I just love the sound of that 2 cylinder engine. I'll have the echo chamber squared off at the top with a rainguard, then chrome the whole setup.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just wondered if the glasspack might accentuate the pop sound. As long as it doesn't sound like a fart muffler on a Japanese car! Any ideas on the step up you mentioned in your thread? Getting on these is a pain...
Nothing done on the step yet except some planning. I am going to try to use the midmount implement brackets. Pipe sized to fit with a tab welded and drilled to fit the existing studs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts