Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How'r Y'all t'day?
My Jubilee has all new ignition components, new carb, etc. Starts fine and idles but the timing will not advance. I have the static set and 8 degrees but at high rpm is actually looses a degree of advance. It is supposed to run at 31 degrees if I read the manual correctly.

Also, the throttle lever will not stay where I put it and returns to something above idle. Can't find a frictions control of any type.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
4,088 Posts
My first guess is that the weights are stuck in the distributor.

https://partstore.agriculture.newholland.com/us/parts-search.html?csid=b71d3fbf5e18f97bf111d8a0d1f3b9af&sl=EN&currency=#epc::mr60168ar677081bi1996926-24

There should be a friction disc if a previous owner hasn't removed it.

https://partstore.agriculture.newholland.com/us/parts-search.html?csid=b71d3fbf5e18f97bf111d8a0d1f3b9af&sl=EN&currency=#epc::mr60168ar497215

If the links work right they should take one to the distributor, and throttle parts schematics for a Ford NAA

Reactions: SofaSpud

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great info in the parts book.
It was suggested to me that the governor might be the problem, any truth to that.
I guess the next step is to disassemble the distributor and trouble shoot and then overhaul or replace.
Thanks for the advice, always appreciated.

·
I have returned!
280 Posts
Governor has nothnng to do with timing. You had aked why the timing wasnt where it should be on upper rpms.

The governor will affect the torque you get from the tractor when you lug the engine. Basically put the tractor in third gear and side step the clutch. If the engine stalls your governor is too loose. If the engine comes onto power and doesnt stall, the governor is set correctly and doesnt require attention.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well to say you were all correct is an understatement. Can't find one spring in the distributor and the weights are basically frozen and can't move if they wanted. Also there is about .020 end play in the shaft. Next question, buy new or repair. Any suggestions?

·
Administrator
4,088 Posts
I'm glad I could help point you in the right direction.
My opinion (which with a dollar can buy you a cup of coffee) Find if what parts you need are still available.
I would be surprised if everything you needed to replace is still available after 65+ years.
Well, maybe for the little Fords, as they were popular. Weigh the cost of those over a new one.
All the parts on the new ones may not be Identical to the original even though it works for the engine.
One may be able to find a good used one, but I would be leery of that unless I saw it first.

·
Administrator
4,088 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, what a difference a new distributor made. No more blue smoke, no more pinging. Timing is everything. Thanks everyone.

·
Administrator
4,088 Posts
Glad you got it sorted out. Enjoy your little Ford.:good:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts