Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,
I am considering buying a JD 272 Finish mower. It is a 3 point hitch. My Jubilee has a adaptor on the small original PTO that will not allow the PTO drive shaft from the mower deck to be attached. I am considering changing out the Jubilee PTO small shaft with a new std size 1-3/8 diameter. Any issues? I see several places have them for $150 ish with tax and shipping.

This should allow the mower to be attached without any issues.

Same mower on my D17.

It works well on that tractor too. Just thought I would like to try it on the Jubilee. It may be a better fit and use a little less fuel?
Changing the Jubilee PTO would be a good upgrade also.
Note my Ford has a hand clutch so it has live power.
Regards,
Chris

·
Super Moderator
7,920 Posts
I changed a worn one for a new one on a neighbor's Julibee years ago. Do not remember any problems. If the seal is good just put a little oil or a coating of grease on the shaft.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jim, Folks,
Found one of these new repro PTO shafts at local parts dealer. Had to make a gasket but the price of $50 suited me OK. Now topping off a fluid change in tranny, Hydraulic sump and rear end. Decided to use Napa tranny/ hydraulic fluid in all compartments. 5 in tranny, 8 plus a little in the HYD, and 8 in the rear end.
PTO extension flopping around:

Very worn original small spline:

worn adapter:

New PTO shaft:

Should work fine for many years.
Regards,
Chris

Reactions: iko

·
Super Moderator
7,920 Posts
Good job! I just remembered when reading this that my neighbor's tractor did not need its hydraulic oil changed. We parked it with the front wheels in a ditch. Worked just fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts