Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Too miserable to do anything in the fields lately so I tried hauling a little gravel for the yard yesterday. The old Massey Super 90 scooped up lots of sandy, rocky gravel and the R160 IH trucked it home. Poor gravel but the price is right. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
7,868 Posts
Nice looking equipment, and the "free" rock looks good too :!:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Back in the 70s I had a truck like that had a flat bed dump and I paid $500 for it put a 1000 gal water tank on it and haul water from my service station they was good trucks had it about 6 months guy came along said I got a lot of water to haul what you charge? Gave him a price and he said now what take for truck? 2000 I knew was high but he said I will take it..
now about your picture you say the gravel is free .Is it from a river bed or wheres it come from? ;)

·
Super Moderator
7,868 Posts
Don't think you were too high JR ifn the feller was willin' to pay your price.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
caseman said:
Back in the 70s I had a truck like that had a flat bed dump
now about your picture you say the gravel is free .Is it from a river bed or wheres it come from? ;)

I like my old IH trucks alright and got this one ten years ago at a farm auction. Not running but it didn't take much work and that big 264 engine pulls pretty strong with a load of gravel on, plus the gravel box is ideal for hauling rough stuff. I can't get the brakes working so it is not licensed as I only use it for farm chores.
The gravel is free because it is on my land. Every little creek in this country seems to have some gravel deposits along the sides. In the recent past there have been a lot of gravel screeners and crushers setting up and processing gravel for sale.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
rusty6 said:
caseman said:
Back in the 70s I had a truck like that had a flat bed dump

I like my old IH trucks alright and got this one ten years ago at a farm auction. Not running but it didn't take much work and that big 264 engine pulls pretty strong with a load of gravel on, plus the gravel box is ideal for hauling rough stuff. I can't get the brakes working so it is not licensed as I only use it for farm chores.
The gravel is free because it is on my land. Every little creek in this country seems to have some gravel deposits along the sides. In the recent past there have been a lot of gravel screeners and crushers setting up and processing gravel for sale.

You are right about the creek gravel Rusty. We hauled for years and years out of the gravel bed on the home place and it would just fill back up every time. My cousin even had a drag line on the creek bank and hauled commercially for a long time. Of course he was loading with the little Oliver crawlers and late '40's ford dumps. I'd love to have an old flat bed dump like your old International though. It'd look good packing a restored Super-A to the shows....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts