Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to gordon1121, I have a few burley baccer plants to watch grow this summer. They were as tough as pine knots, and all have lived. Hopefully, soon the roots will get hold of the fertilizer and the plants will begin to grow. I had about a half a terrace row that was not planted, so this will be a good spot to see what they will do.

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
Looks mighty good to me Jim and your row looks a lot straighter than mine to. I sure am glad you got to put them out I'm curious to how it does in your climate and ground. It sure does look pretty to start, you ought to have enough to make a few twist by the end of the season. I got to see mine tonite its the size of your hat and good and dark getting ready to leave the ground I hope. If the weather holds I hope to hit it with some ammonia nitrate Thursday or Friday and hope it gets a good rain after. I'll try and get a few pics if I can.

·
Administrator
4,312 Posts
Looks Good Jimmy. Those plants Gordon gave you were some stout looking tobacco plants. They should do fine once they get their roots established.
With the seasonal temperatures (90s) getting here right on time for the start Summer of this week, tobacco plants should really start growin' good. ;)

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Tobacco and vegetables together can be challenging. Stay on top of your pesticide applications.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Great to see that you've got them in the ground and looking healthy Jimmy. The pictures only tease us with what the rest of the field is looking like though - from what it shows it must be doing awfully well. Dad could fill you in on the specifics of how we treated the tobacco in this part of the state, I know that there are years that the fleas would have to be hit early on and then he would spray again when it was topped... I can't remember exactly what it entailed beyond that. I will re-learn soon enough though :lol: It looks like you've gotten everything off to a great start though, make sure to keep us posted.

·
Super Moderator
8,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The flea bugs were working on this pretty good, but the baccer plants finally got a spray today as well as the taters, green beans, and October beans with the threat of rain over for a few days. maybe not i can also finally get the last hay mowed tomorrow or
Friday. I think it's gonna take some hot, sunny days to get them outta their funk.

After I began buying greenhouse flue-cured baccer plants, I had them treated by the grower with Admire. It provides full season control of many pests including flea bugs and aphids. It was well worth the cost.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
That Admire is good stuff, those flea beetles like eggplant real well too.

·
Super Moderator
8,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BruceG34 said:
That Admire is good stuff, those flea beetles like eggplant real well too.
YES they do! Some hot sunshine is a good medicing too. :!: The buggers worked on my early ones, and just found the late ones I planted last week.

·
Super Moderator
8,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think that NC budworms consider KY Burley to be a gourmet feast :!: I have recently dusted it twice at my daughter's home farm, and they just keep coming. It has been slow to green up and get growing as it should. A few plants planted later in a garden at my house are about waist high, and virtually worm free. More and more wacky things continue to happen this year :!:

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Jim hope the worms don't eat the Ky. tobacco up :eek:

·
Super Moderator
8,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bettyp said:
Jim hope the worms don't eat the Ky. tobacco up :eek:
It just seems to be growing slow, and that makes the budworm damage worse. It got a couple of showers which it needed the last few days so maybe the rain will get it going.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Ok Jim maybe the good rains will help out on the growth and bud worm

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
Jim one thing I can promise is worms do love it. If it gets a little rain along and some hot sun it should do fine. Have you seen any signs of a bloom yet?

·
Super Moderator
8,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
gordon1121 said:
Jim one thing I can promise is worms do love it. If it gets a little rain along and some hot sun it should do fine. Have you seen any signs of a bloom yet?

No blooms yet Gordon. I have 3 or 4 plants here a little over waist high, but over at daughter's only a few are knee high. I went through it with the Super A last week. I top dressed it heavily about 2 weeks ago, but it has not found it yet. Some corn near it was scalded when the hot sun came out on that rain-tendered fodder, but the heat did not damage the baccer.
I was told that the nearest fue-cured grower , whose baccer is pictured in another thread here, was really nervous about much of his crop. It wilted really bad when the hot sun finally showed itself after all the wet, cloudy days. We saw a bit of it late yesterday and it looked fine from the road.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Was traveling to Nashville, TN this morning and they are cutting burley in Southern KY. It's been a while since I worked in the patches, but seems like we didn't start cutting until around mid August.

·
Administrator
4,312 Posts
Your right. Mid August to early Septtember. Should be just topping out now.
I've spent a lot of Labor Day weekends cutting Saturday, and housing Monday.
They mustta got it out really early to be cutting now.

·
Super Moderator
8,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Really surprised to hear about tobacco being cut this early. Most FC tobacco in these parts is just now coming into the button stage. It will be well into August before any harvesting begins. After FC is topped, it will take nearly two weeks to fill out the top leaves if weather conditions are favorable. It would be another 6 to 7 weeks before ripening is complete.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts