Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned this tractor since 1982 and it's been sitting in a field for the past almost fifteen years.
This summer I decided to do a complete refurbishment ( I'll describe most of these in other threads)

The most pressing problem at the moment is that the engine part two stage clutch is not disengaging,that is with the clutch lever fully pulled back, no gear can be selected. The PTO seems to disengage properly.
When standing for so long the bell housing had partially filled with water so when the engine was removed the clutch assembly was one solid rusted lump (see photo)
I removed the whole assembly de-rusted and cleaned each individual part so that everything was working and moving as it should.
The two clutch plates were re-lined and both clutch bearings replaced.
I measured distances on the three, what appear to be adjusters, before disassembly and used those measurements on reassembly. The component parts can only be reassembled in their correct order so I'm sure it's not a case of a clutch plate put back wrongly.
The clutch plate with the larger splined centre is against the flywheel that I'm assuming is the PTO clutch?
A previous owner has made an opening in the bell housing so that these "adjusters" were accessible

I have tried adjusting the nuts up and down but still no gear can be selected ,just crunching!
I must admit to not truly understanding how this particular clutch system works, especially as there is no workshop manual or description of this clutch assembly.
I would really appreciate if anyone has any knowledge of this type of clutch assembly and can suggest what or where I should be looking.
I have included photos of the rusted assembly and also of the bell housing opening showing these adjusters.

Thanks again for any help or advice,
James

21288
21289
21290
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, problem solved.
I mentioned that I had measured distances/tolerances before disassembling the clutch assembly and applied them when rebuilding.
After staring at the mechanism for a long while, what I had not factored in was the thickness of the newly relined/refaced clutch plates. Backing off various locking nuts, both the engine/gearbox and the PTO clutches are now working as they should.

I'm now working on the next problem which is the right side steering clutch and brake that is not working.

As an aside, I've spent half a day trying to bash out the 25mm. pin that that separates the track, it's bent inside the bush.
I've now drilled it out to 19mm. and tomorrow I'll attempt to put a hacksaw blade through and cut it out.

all good fun,
James.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
4,107 Posts
Glad you found it easily enough. Sometimes we just have to step back and take a long look.
Good luck with your restoration. Keep us updated. It's not a common machine here in the U.S.
We would love to see some photos of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad you found it easily enough. Sometimes we just have to step back and take a long look.
Good luck with your restoration. Keep us updated. It's not a common machine here in the U.S.
We would love to see some photos of it.
Thank you Dave, I always find it a good thing to just sit and look at problems before rushing in and tearing things apart. Usually it always turns out to be a small mistake or something obvious.
I have now changed the thread title to restoration and I'll post up photos of the project as I go along.

BTW the same Lamborghini model as mine, in poor visual condition, was sold at auction in the USA for just under $16,000.

I have been reading through a lot of the posts on this forum and it's so nice to see the help and camaraderie exchanged between members.

James.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Now another mystery, I'm trying to access the steering clutch plates and brake band that involves removing the housing that's shown in the photo.
I've removed all of the nuts and studs but it is somehow held on by a clamp on the axle, and I just can't fathom out how to remove this clamp. The clamp appears to be a single piece instead of the usual "two halves" type of clamp.

The most annoying thing is that many years ago I replaced the steering clutches on the other side of the tractor which has exactly the same fixings as the housing that I'm now trying to remove but I just can't remember how! (It must be an age thing with the loss of memory cells).
James.
21304
21305
Lambo brake casting.jpg
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top