Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator
3,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An uncommon early May freeze in the middle of KY last night with a low of 29 degrees.
There has been only four times it has gotten below 32 in my part of KY in my 60 years according to the local weather gurus.
May 10 1966, May 9 1976, May 7 2002 and this morning. Which set a new record low for the month.
I covered all my transplants in the garden last night. Some tomato and pepper plants show signs of damage this morning.
The Mountain Fresh and California Wonder. Everything else seems to have fared rather well.
Strawberries, Blueberries and apple trees look unfazed, but the peach trees looked a little wilted earlier.
The apple blossoms got frozen when in full bloom last month and turned immediately brown.
This is the second hard freeze since the peach trees bloomed, So I don't expect many of either.
Plant covers - Copy.jpg

·
Administrator
3,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I lost four out of twelve tomato plants. Won't be hard to replace. Forecast to be above 80 by Thursday here now.
Went to my brother's today and he lost two thirds of his garden and had quite a bit more out than I did.
Good thing is we shouldn't have to worry about a late freeze again for some time.

·
Super Moderator
7,857 Posts
Dave we were 36 this morning and it tied the low temp record for this date. The 34 on Saturday was a surprise to most forecasters. A cold front passes through tonight and on Tuesday morning we are expected to be frosty again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts