Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From reading many of the post here understand the SC and possibly DC Case rowcrops were availible with foot clutch or hand clutch. Is this so?

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
mgood said:
From reading many of the post here understand the SC and possibly DC Case rowcrops were availible with foot clutch or hand clutch. Is this so?
Yes;
During the 1953 model year the SC and DC were available with foot clutch.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
NickatKY said:
mgood said:
Yes;
During the 1953 model year the SC and DC were available with foot clutch.
might add just foot clutch no more hand clutch and it made them have live power also with them model year

·
Registered
42 Posts
The VC was the first foot clutch for case and then the VAC . Early tractors were still doing a lot of belt work and the over center hand clutch worked better for that .as farming progressed and more pto work came about so went the hand clutch. I'll add one more thing about the case clutch chain drive they were wet clutches (ran in oil) they last for ever and don't slip.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply. I don't know why i didn't think on terms of belt work; as there was still a lot of that done through the 60's in this area

·
Registered
83 Posts
I love my SC when it's running right. but any hand clutched non live power tractor used with a loader requires about four hands to operate. Dad's DC we had was hand clutch but live power, wasn't too bad.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
EricR said:
I love my SC when it's running right. but any hand clutched non live power tractor used with a loader requires about four hands to operate. Dad's DC we had was hand clutch but live power, wasn't too bad.
would a DC3 with a hand clutch be live power by chance? Are those chain drive too? I'm a total Case novice and I'm looking at getting one

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
another bit of info is the hand clutch was on the right side till 1952 and then it was on the left for that 1 year only remember 53 went to foot clutch so I think the 52 with left hand cluch is rare..

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't suppose theres any source of production figures??? I have owned and run 30 series and 70 series Case; but have never had any of the letter series. I am finding these machines very intresting. I know they were really well made and reliable. Thanks for the info guys.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
caseman said:
another bit of info is the hand clutch was on the right side till 1952 and then it was on the left for that 1 year only remember 53 went to foot clutch so I think the 52 with left hand cluch is rare..
The one were thinking of getting has the clutch on the left :D

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
1941 - 7,540
1942 - -5,000
1943 - 3,722
1944 - 4,957
1945 - 5,330
1946 - none
1947 - 3,643
1948 - 4,438
1949 - 7,290
1950 - 5,526
1951 - 5,600
1952 - 2,900
1953 - 1,910
1954 - 1,135
SC production total 58,991

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank You Caseman. I find the war years production very interesting; it tells that JIC not only was able to obtain the steel, but the reliability was beyond question

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Stupid question but SC and DC were different but were they made at the same time? The one i'm looking at has cast grille and I was told it was a DC3

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Oh and were wide fronts common on these machines?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
This is what I'm taking home for a test drive this weekend, what is it? :lol:

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
DerickS said:
This is what I'm taking home for a test drive this weekend, what is it? :lol:

Looks like a mid to late 40's Case DC with adjusable wide front.The wide front is possibly from a later model DC because of the curved steering rod.The late DC Tom Graverson told me once that about 20% of the DC's built had adjustable wide fronts.Most adj wide frts were sent out west.DC Tom was the leading authority on DC Case tractors.There should be a serial tag on the dash under the battery.If its missing and the engine is original the serial number will be stamped in the bell housing flange behind the air cleaner.This tractor will not have live power.The live power SC/DC's have both brake pedals on the right side regardless if they are hand or foot clutch.
Nick

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Guys please do keep the info coming. I for one have never been around any of the letter series Case and really have had no chance to gain first hand experience with them. Theres not many left in this area.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts