Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was taken from a safety notice that was circulated at work recently. The incident occured in Canada approx 3 weeks ago.
A Caterpillar 777 100ton capacity haul truck Truck was struck by lightning causing significant damage to the rear of the truck. One
left side outside duel was propelled away from the truck approximate 250 meters. The rim of this tire was another 50 meters further. All 4 rear tires
were blown out and cab windows shattered. Driver exited the truck as quickly as he could and ran away to a safe distance from the truck.

This highlights how dangerous large tyres can be when they explode and a similar event happened here in Australia several years ago. As a matter of interest, this truck is about one third the size of some of the trucks in use at my work place which carry 360 tons.

John

·
Registered
906 Posts
Hope the driver had some clean Jeans on hand!!
Really, that's shocking! (pun intended) I never knew that lightning would hit a vehicle like that. Glad the driver escaped.

·
Super Moderator
7,862 Posts
bikerdave said:
Hope the driver had some clean Jeans on hand!!
Really, that's shocking! (pun intended) I never knew that lightning would hit a vehicle like that. Glad the driver escaped.
Again, glad the driver was not hurt from this electrifying experience :!:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts