Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Thanks Gordan,love seeing that little crawler .
Don't get to see many of those.

·
Administrator
4,359 Posts
Best I can remember that little crawler was at Caseman's show last year.
The same fella that owns it had this Avery A 4X4 at Caseman's show this year. ;)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Belongs to John McCall ;) Carlise Ky

·
Registered
350 Posts
Nice little crawler but looks like a BF Avery engine and panelwork has been fitted to a Cletrac crawler. Has been done several times in the past and a few months ago, a Cletrac powered by an Allis Chalmers B engine & panels was posted here. Also seen a photo of a Ford 8N set up the same. Although not origional, the end result looks good though.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Cletrac made the original BF Averys.
before they started making them in Louisville.

·
Administrator
4,359 Posts
Bruce is right. The B.F. Avery Plow Co. contracted Cletrac to build a tractor they designed,
to fit a new line of implements they were developing, to compete with the Ferguson 3 pt system.
The General model GG was born, and sold by Cletrac, Avery, Massey Harris, Co-op, and Montgomery Ward,
in different colors and names. Later Avery purchased the rights to build it themselves, and renamed it the Model A.
Cletrac continued to build it as well for a time, but only under the Avery model A name.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
BigDaveinKY said:
Bruce is right. The B.F. Avery Plow Co. contracted Cletrac to build a tractor they designed,
to fit a new line of implements they were developing, to compete with the Ferguson 3 pt system.
The General model GG was born, and sold by Cletrac, Avery, Massey Harris, Co-op, and Montgomery Ward,
in different colors and names. Later Avery purchased the rights to build it themselves, and renamed it the Model A.
Cletrac continued to build it as well for a time, but only under the Avery model A name.
Hey BigDave, I was aware of the Cletrac/Avery/MontgomeryWard/Co-op combination, but what was the connection with Massey Harris ??? I'm not remembering that model.... :? :? Then in the 50's wasn't Avery purchased by Minniapolis Moline ??

·
Administrator
4,359 Posts
I don't know Wendell, :? but was in the book I read, so I listed it. I don't remember a General in Massey Harris colors either.
Reread the article, it said they were sold by Massey Harris dealerships, not as a Massey Harris model. Sorry for the confusion. :oops:
You're right Avery sold to MM in '51 and the line kept running until '54 when they closed the plant in Louisville, and the Avery line died.
One thing I thought was interesting. In the late 1800's through the mid 1900's, between B.F. Avery, and Brinly-Hardy, more plows were
built in Louisville than anywhere in the world. Between them shipping an average of 190,000 a year, under their own and other names.
That always stood out in my mind 'cause I wouldn't think there were that many folks needing plows back then. ;)

·
Registered
926 Posts
March 1 1951 on the merger with M&M according to the book M-M Farm Tractors by Chester Peterson Jr

1 - 13 of 13 Posts