Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Thanks Mike for the pics. My love for horses bothers me some to see them have to pull that must weight. All looked like beautiful horses.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bettyp said:
Thanks Mike for the pics. My love for horses bothers me some to see them have to pull that must weight. All looked like beautiful horses.
Don't worry these horses live to do this. The biggest problem is getting them to stand still long enough to get hooked to the sleigh. They want to go!!! They didn't even break a sweat!!!When they go to pull if the driver sees them struggle he stops. They even like to show off for the crowd, ;)

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Nice shots during the pull Mike. Thanks for posting. Looks like attendance was down for this event? What do they fill the sled with for weight?
I agree that most of these horses love this. Most get all wound up for the pulling contest.
Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sugarmaker said:
Nice shots during the pull Mike. Thanks for posting. Looks like attendance was down for this event? What do they fill the sled with for weight?
I agree that most of these horses love this. Most get all wound up for the pulling contest.
Regards,
Chris
They use cement weights'

·
Registered
362 Posts
My neighbor, Chris Hatfield, trains and competes with Glenn Yoder's draft horses. They travel all over the country with them. I haven't been over there in quite a long time but I used to love to go watch them hook to those sleds and work them. You're right, those horses couldn't wait to get taken off. They'd hear the clink of the loop being dropped on the hook and you'd better stand clear because they were ready to hammer! ;)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Been a long time since I been to a horse pull.. Know a guy who used to pull was hard to beat.He told me once that he worked them on his farm they was nice and qentle but when he got them on the track they knew what it was all about.. they was ready to do business..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts