Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you know we are only a smallish Island that is slowly being eroded by the sea, the East coast suffers particularly and I can think of a community that has been lost in my lifetime to the erosion. Found this whilst out seems we have lost quite a few villages down this little bit of the coast. Just in case the pic is not too good the solid dots are villages lost

·
Super Moderator
7,868 Posts
Shelly, erosion along the NC coast is also a problem. At Ocean Isle Beach, NC on the east end of the island, the first row of houses used to be the fifth row of houses, The east end of the island is slowly being sheared off. The sand is being re-deposited on the island's west end. All along the NC coast, islands, sounds, and boat channels are constantly shifting. The motion of the ocean is a powerful force.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Yeah we are losing land here along the ocean. I don't know of any houses lost, but then I live twenty miles from the ocean.

·
Super Moderator
1,508 Posts
Haumoana Beach here is eroding at 0.7metres a year. This has seen the removal of several houses along the gravel beach crest and other beach front properties being inundated during heavy swells and high tides. When we get an Easterly blow it sure is frightening to see the 'power' of the sea. I don't know how those that still have their house standing, can sleep at night.
The camping ground that has been there for years is slowly being eroded away,it won't be long before there is nothing left.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I was a little girl... we used to go each year to a village near the sea, when we first started going there were bungalows, a garden, a road and a field in front of the bungalows. We went back a few weeks ago.... only a few bungalows left now... scary, no field, road or gardens..

and look how close to the cliff edge they are farming, I guess they have lost some since they planted

·
Super Moderator
1,508 Posts
Here's one of the houses along the beach front at Haumoana taking a pounding from the waves. There's still around 20 houses yet to sucumbe in that area.

·
Super Moderator
7,868 Posts
When the surf gets that close, a home will not last long. Sad to see. :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts