Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I grew up in the city of Warren here in MI, its the third largest in the state and like most areas was farmed before industry and residents took hold. I was born in 1972 to a blue collar family and my grandpa and granny lived in the south end of Warren just one half mile north of Detroit. As far back as I remember my "Pa" had a garden in the yard in the middle of the suburbs, a small lot only 40x100 but good enough to house some of the best veggies I can remember seeing. So many talks surrounded that fenced in garden...talsk about crops, talks about people and life in general could all be had staring at that little garden. See I dint grow up on a farm and my parents had a garden but nothing like my Pa's. See Pa grew up the son of a sharecropper in sourthern TN and northern Al. When he chased the auto industry north to MI he brought some of his farming knowledge with him and passed on to us what he could get us to take in. In the spring of 1992 Pa was down on his back and I came over to plant the garden for him, I planted beans from seeds that he said were special....year after year he used these same seeds and took them from the harvest of beans and redried them and used them year after year. Pa died that year and he was the first close person I ever lost, it was devastating and to top it off the beans didnt grow tha year. My granny passed 7 years later and I bought the house from my family...the garden wasnt planted in all the time he was gone. I broke ground on it my first Spring there and it flourished, Tiff and I grew the best veggies I could ever ask for....the ground was magnificient. I used those beans and kept some of his and re harvested some for myself each year. I stayed there for 4 years and moved to the current home we are in now, we have planted beans each year and have had a bountiful harvest of veggies....beans are some of my favorites. Last year for the first time our bean crop was bad with barely any making it to be canned. As you guys may have noticed I posted pictures of us planting the garden this morning and when we got to the beans I learned something from Tiff that broke my heart some. The reason our bean crop was bad last year is that we had run out of Pa's magic beans and Tiff didnt harvest any for ourselves like we had in the past. The end of an era for me had set in today.....I'm not mad at Tiff for she is my soul mate and mistakes are made..we are all human. As we continued to plant I looked at my girls and realized that some day they may have a magic bean story passed on because of something we may do now as their parents. At that time it hit me that the real value in what I learned from Pa was tradition....it was planting, it was doing these types of things together, it was family. The real magic wasnt in the beans at all, it was in the love me and my Pa shared over a simple plot of ground. Thanks for listening

·
Super Moderator
7,925 Posts
Love the story Derick. I have used farmin, analogies over the years when talking to folks, and especially when our daughter was growing up. She helped us on the farm in the gardens and especially in tobacco. She knew it was a real source of income for us. We often postponed major purchases or improvements until after the crop had been sold and bills paid. She learned how humans can use Nature's resources without depleting them to survive and make a decent living. One thing that I still tell her today is that no matter how hard things are, one has to plow and tend their own row, meaning life. How hard one works on it determines how hard or easy each task is. She is 28 now, and I think she is beginning to get it. Life's little lessons go a long way to produce good results or harvests. We just have to convince our kids that rewards may not be instantly apparent, but they will come. In the meantime, them homegrown treats are the best. :D

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jim in NC said:
Love the story Derick. I have used farmin, analogies over the years when talking to folks, and especially when our daughter was growing up. She helped us on the farm in the gardens and especially in tobacco. She knew it was a real source of income for us. We often postponed major purchases or improvements until after the crop had been sold and bills paid. She learned how humans can use Nature's resources without depleting them to survive and make a decent living. One thing that I still tell her today is that no matter how hard things are, one has to plow and tend their own row, meaning life. How hard one works on it determines how hard or easy each task is. She is 28 now, and I think she is beginning to get it. Life's little lessons go a long way to produce good results or harvests. We just have to convince our kids that rewards may not be instantly apparent, but they will come. In the meantime, them homegrown treats are the best. :D
Thank you Jim...I still my Pa to this day and its kinda sad that it took me almost 20 years to realize the magic in the beans he was talking about was us...he and I planting them together.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Now you can start a new chapter for your magic beans ;)
Loved the story and remindes me of all the years I had with my mom in the garden.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Guys ,thanks for the stories ,enjoyed both of those and you are right the magic is in the time we spend as a family . If you don't have a family ,you need to adopt one . If you are young adopt an older family ,because they may have the Knowledge you need . If older adopt a younger family they also have knowledge to share and the engery to help . I need the youner family and have some of them. Thanks guys for this post.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bettyp said:
Guys ,thanks for the stories ,enjoyed both of those and you are right the magic is in the time we spend as a family . If you don't have a family ,you need to adopt one . If you are young adopt an older family ,because they may have the Knowledge you need . If older adopt a younger family they also have knowledge to share and the engery to help . I need the youner family and have some of them. Thanks guys for this post.
We'll agree to adopt you if you'll agree to adopt us! ;) :D

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bettyp said:
I thank that could be a good deal . Thanks Derick
I should be thanking you Betty :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts