Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I know that I sometimes don't get things but this really confused me. We are having a bumper crop of beans this year,not bragging just to the point, Had about 2 doz cans left from last year so we thought that maybe we would donate them to our local food pantry, Yes Ron once a year I try to do something nice :eek: Called them and said we would like to donate only ask if they would ask people to return the jars,knowing may only get a few back. They said they couldn't do that,I asked whats the harm in asking them to return the jars and they said NO we cannot accept home canned goods.I guess I don't understand we can give them food laced with pesticides and msg but not good old home canned goods. I know there is sence in here somewhere but I sure don't get it. :eek: :eek: :shock: :roll: OH well thanks for listening!!!!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
438 Posts
It's a sign of the times. I offered a guy, standing on the exit ramp of an expressway ramp holding a sign up that he was hungry, a bottle of water. He refused it because he said I probably opened it and put something bad in it. Go figure? :roll: :eek: :shock: :?

G

·
0 Posts
FDA sure know how to ruin a good thing, eh??????????????????????????

Oh yea, it did take me awhile to take in what you said about being nice :shock: Just glad I was sittin down :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
395 Posts
last year i dumped 3 bins of butter nut squash 2 bins of sunshine squash 4 bins of pepper squash at end of season 18 bushels to a bin i had offered to local food bank they told me if i delivered it into there storage room in banana boxes they would take it they wouldnt unload and box it i was willing to deliver and unload bin on there dock .

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
I offered a local food pantry the leftovers from the market twice a week and they don't want to accept it that late in the day. most of these charitys have gotten picky. I don't understand it either.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I well remember my grandmother canning vegetables & making juice for a then "small" home for children of special needs near where they lived. Grandpa would also bring them eggs & fresh veggies in season. This was in the early 1940's & thru the mid 1950's. That (Home Of Mercy) now is well over 10 times larger & with the "state" involved in everything they can't even accept "dented" cans from food warehouses. Most likely the day will come when we can't even give them used clothing & they will only be able to accept "new" items. That sure isn't the way the minister that started this "home" would have wanted things to be now.
How long has it been since you have heard of a "Boys Home",- I worked with several that grew up in them & made very good lives for themselves, even if they had to do many "chores" on those farm based operations, - "Child Labor", wasn't an issue over 65 years ago.
They way things are going, our great-grandchildren won't even know what "chores" are.

·
Registered
270 Posts
The local supermarkets here set food bins inside the store for the food banks - but the catch is that you have to buy the processed food items in their store. The security guard will run you out if you try to bring in something from another store.

When we drove to and from work, we always watched the guys on the corners with their cardboard signs. Then I started to notice that they moved around to different locations - then I discovered that someone with a van was driving them all around the city and dropping them off "to work their shift" and the same van picked them up again later in the day. I've heard estimates from authorities that unsuspecting people are giving these guys between $100,000 to $200,000 a year - while the rest of us work for a living. I'm sure the people that provide the van are making a large share of that.

·
Super Moderator
7,862 Posts
Mike, for one thing you kitchen has not been approved by the Board of Health. Keep the beans. They will last for years, and you could have a crop failure next year.
But I believe something else is going on here. I think it is very possible that there is so much free and donated stuff available that the "takers" can pick and choose what they want. I had the same problem when cleaning out mom's house and donating some of her things.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jim in NC said:
Mike, for one thing you kitchen has not been approved by the Board of Health. But I believe something else is going on here. I think it is very possible that there is so much free and donated stuff available that the "takers" can pick and choose what they want. I had the same problem when cleaning out mom's house and donating some of her things.
I know what you mean. I really have gotten a little sceptic of a lot of charities anymore. We have started just looking around the neighborhood anymore. Seems to be plenty in need and atleast I know where it has gone.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Super Moderator
7,862 Posts
wizzard said:
we've run into the same thing over the years. now we'll just find a neighbor that needs a lil help and just drop stuff of at there door
That's the best way. Look after your neighbors. Helping them also helps yourself.

·
Registered
270 Posts
[/quote]I know what you mean. I really have gotten a little sceptic of a lot of charities anymore. We have started just looking around the neighborhood anymore. Seems to be plenty in need and atleast I know where it has gone.[/quote]

Most of the charities now have highly paid admistrators, so we don't donate to any of them. We just look around and can always find someone in need; last fall it was a single mother just across the street that was in a financial bind. She moved back to CA to get a job; she was back here last weekend and stopped in to give us both a big hug.

Plus I donate the wooden toys that I make directly to the Children's hospital. I tell the solicitors for any organized charity to bring me a current audit that proves that at least 95% of their income goes out to those that need it - but they never come back with an audit. Some charities are so bad that less than 3% gets distributed to those who really need it (Save the Child Foundation is reported to be one of those).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts