Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 203 that I recently bought. The grill was with it until recently when it disappeared at a friend's sons house when it was removed to replace the front pump. Thieves are low moral dirt bags that need to be eliminated.

Anyway I don't think 203 grills are available new and finding a good used one hasn't turned up anything. I can get the outside dimension by measurements.
The two measurements I need is the hole diameter and the thickness of the plate.

There are 280 holes in those grills and the holes appear to be about 3/4 diameter. From memory I think the grill is about 1/8" to 3/16" thick. I would make one out of expanded steel but I want my 203 to look like it should and the original grill had good protection for the radiator.
My guess is that nobody reproduces this grill because of the labor involved in making them.
I'm considering buying a 4x8 sheet of plate and cutting out as many as I can fit and stacking all the blanks and drilling them all at once.
I have a radial drill to drill all the holes. Band Saw for corners. It will still be a lot of work. Ill then try to sell the extra's online. I may end up with grills without a home. I would have to figure a price after figuring the labor and materials involved. Drilling them all at once will save time.
I would think there are a few 203's without grills.

So I need hole diameter.

How thick 1/8- 3/16-1/4

I could use length top to bottom at the center of the grill.
Also could use the width of grill at the top row of holes and the width at the bottom row of holes. That's because it tapers top to bottom.
I have my tractor to get width and height but I'm sure they had a clearance margin built in. Actual measurements of a grill would be better.

original (3).jpg

I think there two different versions of this grill but this is the one I plan to make.
Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yeah, this is not stealing a loaf of bread because you're hungry. Nasty stuff.

How's the rest of the tractor? Pics?

·
Registered
230 Posts
By the picture, it is at least one that will not be very hard to replicate.
I am sure there are people out there that would probably buy your extras,
if you decided to make more than one.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
By the picture, it is at least one that will not be very hard to replicate.
I am sure there are people out there that would probably buy your extras,
if you decided to make more than one.
RJ
Pretty basic grill
Those grills are not available new and very hard to find used. I figured I can get ten out of a 4x8 sheet of steel. With the Fosdick radial drill I can stack and drill all 10 at once. There is some work drilling 280 hole's and cutting out the blanks.
I have seen a few 203/ 204 and 205's with expanded steel grills.
There should be at least ten out there that need grills.
There two different sizes of that grill that look close to the 203. The headlight casting is longer.

Iko
The rest of the tractor is fair. Replaced fuel lines and hydraulic lines.
I'm now rebuilding the engine and transmission. I thought I had it almost ready to use and while at low idle a sleeve dropped into the oil pan. No damage to the block or crankshaft. Also took the steering box off to look in the transmission and the reverse idler gear was half ground off. Two bad bearings also. I'm replacing 5 transmission gears, one shaft and all the bearings.
The clutch was out when my friend bought this tractor. Someone before ground gears instead if replacing the clutch.
I'm doing more to the tractor than I intended to do. That's how it goes sometimes.
I'm looking forward to a fresh rebuild on the engine and transmission.
about $1,100 in parts.
I want dependability
About $7,000 total in the tractor
Initial cost $3,750
New clutch
New front hyd. pump
New steering pump
New power steering lines
New fuel lines
Rebuilt injector pump
From the seat forward its going to be all rebuilt.
I'm ok with spending $7,000 . That's pricey for a 203. It also has 3 point, p,t.o. and backhoe. The rear half of the tractor sounds good. Wheels jacked up and turning wheels its smooth as silk. Being a backhoe it shouldn't a lot of travel miles on it. Hours unknown.
I almost forgot, 15 staples in my head. I was removing transmission bolts and raised up and busted my head open on the stationary loader arm/frame. $90.00 hospital emergency room co- pay. Free pain
My labor cost is my joy in fixing old tractors. I will work this tractor. I maintain the subdivision road. Repairs and snow removal and have five acres to maintain. I would love a new $30,000 Kabota but The electronics and price run me off. I like old machines.

Its to late to start a thread of the disassembly .
I may start a thread of the reassembly.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Resized_20191005_124808.jpg hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.jpg Resized_20191005_124838.jpg

IKO
Here is a couple pictures. The attachment photo is how my cleanup was going before I had to disassemble it all the way back to the seat.
Forward then backward. And forward again.
Ill get pictures of it as it sits disassembled in the morning. dfhjjiuuyh.jpg fghh.jpg eeertttttyhhnn.jpg

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sorry to hear about your injury! That is very unfortunate. Hopefully the only personal sacrifice other than time you did for this tractor. I didn't say it, but three weeks ago when I changed the oil on my 33, after I put some Seafoam in the oil the tractor was warming up, running. Was a cold day, probably 7F. I touched the oil pan to check if the oil got any warm at all, was cold. Then touched the engine, cold. Without thinking I reached to touch the hose going down from the radiator, bang. At first I didn't feel much, then lots of free pain, as you say. Moved too fast and didn't see the radiator fan, put my hand right in it. Big gash on middle finger, quickly wrapped tight with a piece of paper towel and electrical tape. Didn't go in to get it properly dressed 'cause I knew my wife would send me to emergency. Although this service is free here, I didn't want to lose the rest of the day and leave the tractor like that. So I sucked it up and finished the work. While not as bad as your cut, the joints in my right hand still hurt. For me it was a reminder that I got a bit careless.

From what you describe you got a lot of that price. I looked around here for tractors for some time and I don't think one could get a full tractor, with loader and backhoe, for what you paid. Too bad you got more work than you expected but you seem more than capable to do it and with all those new parts and the work done by you should last a life time. Good investment.

That tractor doesn't have any rust on that motor! And it's a diesel. Looking forward to your assembly thread if it's not trouble for you to do. Speedy recovery!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry to hear about your injury! That is very unfortunate. Hopefully the only personal sacrifice other than time you did for this tractor. I didn't say it, but three weeks ago when I changed the oil on my 33, after I put some Seafoam in the oil the tractor was warming up, running. Was a cold day, probably 7F. I touched the oil pan to check if the oil got any warm at all, was cold. Then touched the engine, cold. Without thinking I reached to touch the hose going down from the radiator, bang. At first I didn't feel much, then lots of free pain, as you say. Moved too fast and didn't see the radiator fan, put my hand right in it. Big gash on middle finger, quickly wrapped tight with a piece of paper towel and electrical tape. Didn't go in to get it properly dressed 'cause I knew my wife would send me to emergency. Although this service is free here, I didn't want to lose the rest of the day and leave the tractor like that. So I sucked it up and finished the work. While not as bad as your cut, the joints in my right hand still hurt. For me it was a reminder that I got a bit careless.

From what you describe you got a lot of that price. I looked around here for tractors for some time and I don't think one could get a full tractor, with loader and backhoe, for what you paid. Too bad you got more work than you expected but you seem more than capable to do it and with all those new parts and the work done by you should last a life time. Good investment.

That tractor doesn't have any rust on that motor! And it's a diesel. Looking forward to your assembly thread if it's not trouble for you to do. Speedy recovery!

I spent a few hours cleaning and painting.
The price of making one of these older tractors dependable is not that bad. The perkins diesel is a pretty inexpensive engine to rebuild. $425.00 fie major rebuild kit. https://www.tractorjoe.com/ok301-major-engine-overhaul-kit-1
Then Ill also put in new oil pump.[ not included in the kit.] I sent the crankshaft to get machined and it was right on spec. for standard bearings. The engine was basically in good condition. The cylinder sleeve dropping was an unusual event. The guy my friend bought it from used starting fluid to start it. That may have damaged the sleeve.
I fixed the hard starting problems. Starting fluid is hard on engines.

I'm looking forward using to using it. I was disappointed when the engine went. At least it was at low idle and I was standing next to it and shut it off in seconds.
These old tractors that still have the backhoe are not around in great numbers. The backhoe often gets taken off.
A backhoe attachment for my friends new 40hp kabota is $8500. Making this tractor dependable is not that expensive. Of coarse mine isn't new
The transmission gears and shaft were about $500. They still make these tractors in India so the gears are all available.

The staples in my head didn't stop work. Staples come out Friday. They itch. I did wrap two old pillows around the ends of the loader frame.
I have bumped my hand on a few radiator fans. They become hard to see while turning. Hopefully your hand heals with no lasting joint damage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts