Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The guy I am working the land for owed me $200.00 and figured since I was cutting the hay, this might come in handy. It also settled the bill.

Needs a few repairs but is in pretty good shape and it runs.

·
Administrator
4,377 Posts
Nice looking machine. Running is good. Should be worth $200.......and some change. ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Needs the tube from the air breather to the carb.inside wheels, drive chains for the reel and one canvas. Other than that it is in running condition. Those parts are no big deal, have what I need stashed somewhere. Just need to go on safari and find it.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Nice swather. Around here they're worth $5-750 all day long.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Were/are swathers only used on hay?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unlike the rich farmers around here, I cannot afford a fancy disc bine :cry: So I make do with what I can get my hands on. :D

·
Registered
472 Posts
Swathers used to be used to cut grain so it would finish drying, then a pickup header on the combine picked it up and harvested it. They had swath board headers, just a plain board. A windrower cut hay and left it in a windrow. Some had conditioners. The headers had pickup teeth to do a better job of picking up downed material. Modern machines have blurred the lines....James

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have a AC 90 pull type combine and I was thinking about precutting my grain to allow it to dry. Tried to combine it last year while it was green and the machine did not like it at all. Straw came out in large lumps trapping seed in them. I did a small test and found I was getting a 20 percent loss of seed so I stopped and waited for the grain to be frost killed. That led to weather problems but more importantly severe losses to foraging turkeys. I was thinking of ways around that but I don't have access to a swather so I might have to use a mower set high. Luckily it is only a one acre plot that I am playing with so manual fixes are possible as well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got the reel drive chain for it. Should have it up and running tonight. Total cost for 3 ft of #40 chain, 2 joiner links and 2 half links- $13.00

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got the drive chains on for the reel. All works well there. One canvas and two sections for the knife and I am away to the races, I mean the hay field to start cutting hay. :D :D :D :D

·
Administrator
4,377 Posts
Sounds good, don't forget a couple of action photos from the seat. ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am really with the program lately. Forgot to take the camera with me last night. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: Will make sure not to forget it today. Put it in the truck already :D :D :D :D

·
Administrator
4,377 Posts
Thanks for the video. Those never were used around here, first time I've seen one working, but then, hundred acre fields are few and far between in my part of KY.
That looks like it was developed for grain, but works on hay as well. With just a trailer wheel I'm guessing it uses brakes to steer? Would take some getting used to. ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Each drive wheel is set up on belt drive control for the speed along with a variable speed belt main drive. Has sort of a steering wheel on it to control direction. The column moves forward to go ahead and you pull it back for reverse. Pretty easy to work with.

·
Super Moderator
1,706 Posts
Thanks for sharing your vid. I've never been around one either. Sounds like it'd take some getting used to.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The controls are easy to catch on to. The steering column has a foot lock to set it in neutral. When you unlock the column and let it go froward the machine goes forward. Pull the column back and you have reverse. The left and right turn is no different than driving a car. Speed is controlled by a variable speed belt drive clutch. The table is on one hydraulic control and the reel is on another one. Both controls are side by side for easy control. The reel and table are engaged by one control that locks in when you move the handle forward.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts