Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I'm new to the forum, and I'm probably not going to be very active, but i have some questions about a 1946 Massey Harris 102 junior that i bought as a non-runner some time ago. These tractors are pretty rare over here in Sweden where i live, and it's really hard to find any parts or info for them, so I'm hoping to maybe get some help from this forum :)

I've gotten the engine to run pretty well since i got it, after some fiddling with the carburetor and a new battery and cables it fired up, but only ran on 2 cylinders. Turns out someone had switched the no 2 and 4 spark plug cables, so after changing them it ran good. But it seems to have a bit of an overheating issue, the thermostat isn't working so hard to tell if it's boiling or not but after running for awhile the radiator starts pushing water out of the radiator cap. it also leaks water a bit when not running. Any idea of why this could be?
From searching i found out that the 102 is supposed to have the thermostat in the cast housing on top of the cylinder head, but mine has the wire from the thermostat going into the back of the cylinder head, is it supposed to be like that?

The tractor has a quite a loud growling noise coming from the transmission when running, and i wanted to check the transmission fluid, but i can't find a dipstick on it. I found a plug on the rear right of the transmission housing but i don't know if it's supposed to be an oil level plug or something else? The thing that makes me question this is that there's another plug on the underside of the housing in the middle under the mechanism for engaging the belt pulley that is on about the same level as the plug on the back right. Another thing is that both of these plugs are below the rear axle trumpets, but i can see that there's been oil leaking from one of the axles onto the wheel, so there must have been oil up there at some point...

About the rear axles, there are greasers on the ends of both of the axles, so are the bearings there supposed to be lubricated by grease or oil?

And now about the belt pulley, i can't seem to engage it for some reason... I would think that the small lever to the left of the gear shift lever is supposed to be used to engage the belt pulley? I can't get the lever to move, I don't know if it's supposed to be turned to the side, pulled or pushed, but i can't move it in any direction.

I hope someone here has answers or ideas about these questions, i'm sorry about this post being so long, but i hope some of you have the time to read it :)
Best regards: Erik, Sweden

Ending off with a picture of the tractor when i first got it, and one from my first, not entirely successful test drive:
20121213_030702.jpg
20121230_060243.jpg

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hello!
I'm new to the forum, and I'm probably not going to be very active, but i have some questions about a 1946 Massey Harris 102 junior that i bought as a non-runner some time ago. These tractors are pretty rare over here in Sweden where i live, and it's really hard to find any parts or info for them, so I'm hoping to maybe get some help from this forum :)

I've gotten the engine to run pretty well since i got it, after some fiddling with the carburetor and a new battery and cables it fired up, but only ran on 2 cylinders. Turns out someone had switched the no 2 and 4 spark plug cables, so after changing them it ran good. But it seems to have a bit of an overheating issue, the thermostat isn't working so hard to tell if it's boiling or not but after running for awhile the radiator starts pushing water out of the radiator cap. it also leaks water a bit when not running. Any idea of why this could be?
From searching i found out that the 102 is supposed to have the thermostat in the cast housing on top of the cylinder head, but mine has the wire from the thermostat going into the back of the cylinder head, is it supposed to be like that?

The tractor has a quite a loud growling noise coming from the transmission when running, and i wanted to check the transmission fluid, but i can't find a dipstick on it. I found a plug on the rear right of the transmission housing but i don't know if it's supposed to be an oil level plug or something else? The thing that makes me question this is that there's another plug on the underside of the housing in the middle under the mechanism for engaging the belt pulley that is on about the same level as the plug on the back right. Another thing is that both of these plugs are below the rear axle trumpets, but i can see that there's been oil leaking from one of the axles onto the wheel, so there must have been oil up there at some point...

About the rear axles, there are greasers on the ends of both of the axles, so are the bearings there supposed to be lubricated by grease or oil?

And now about the belt pulley, i can't seem to engage it for some reason... I would think that the small lever to the left of the gear shift lever is supposed to be used to engage the belt pulley? I can't get the lever to move, I don't know if it's supposed to be turned to the side, pulled or pushed, but i can't move it in any direction.

I hope someone here has answers or ideas about these questions, i'm sorry about this post being so long, but i hope some of you have the time to read it :)
Best regards: Erik, Sweden

Ending off with a picture of the tractor when i first got it, and one from my first, not entirely successful test drive:
View attachment 20130
View attachment 20128
I would get some oil in that transmission before running any more. There are shafts turning and gears engaged with the tractor sitting still. I'm guessing 90 weight gear oil. There is often a drain plug and a plug up higher on the transmission casting. The upper plug is for the oil level. when oil runs out the upper plug its full.

The wire going to the back of the head is not the thermostat. That's the heat censor for the gauge on the dash. The thermostat will be below where the top radiator hose attaches to the cylinder head.

The bulb or spring on the thermostat faces the head/engine. That's your heat sensing mechanism for opening the thermostat. A thermostat that's stuck open will cause overheating. The thermostat working correctly opens and closes while running. It closes giving the coolant time to cool by the fan moving air. Then opens to let cooler antifreeze cool the engine. Constant flow will let the engine overheat. The thermostat has to cycle.

The rear axles grease fittings need grease, not oil.

Get some oil in that transmission. It will damage bearings and gears. check the oil in the rear differential also. Old tractors leak until they are empty sometimes.

That's a nice looking old tractor.
The belt pully lever may be stuck from 40 years of not moving. Don't force it. Remove it and take a look. They require oil also.
I don't know this particular tractor as well as others.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot for the reply! Yes I was thinking the same thing about getting some 80-90 weight oil in the transmission as soon as possible, but since I don't know how much oil there is supposed to be in the transmission i wanted to ask first! I don't know if there is separate oil for the differential or the belt pulley, but I've only found one filler plug, right above where the belt pulley gears are. I don't really know how the gearbox in these tractors work or how they look like, but i thought the entire rear end of the tractor shared the same oil? But to be fair, having separate oil would explain why the "drain plug" under the belt pulley gears are at about the same height as the possible oil level plug. Maybe there's another filler plug for the transmission that i haven't found?

Ok so the wire is just for the temperature gauge, I just assumed that the thermostat would be placed there as well, but thanks, now i know that it's located in the housing on top of the cylinder head. When i said that the thermostat was broken i meant the gauge or the temperature sensor, i don't actually know if the thermostat works or not, i might have to check that then. Any tips on how to check if the thermostat is working or not?

Ok so grease only for the wheel bearings then, i just find it weird that there had been oil leaking out of there...

Yeah i guess I'll have to look closer at the belt pulley lever, I'll take it apart and check why it's stuck!

Thank you very much for the helpful information!

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
:welcome:

·
Registered
35 Posts
:welcome:
You can check the thermostat in a pot of water heated on the stove. It should open at about 190F 0r 200F.
Add some oil to the belt pully and give it some time to loosen up. Some belt pullys have their own oil reservoir.

Finding a manual would be a good investment. They seem overpriced but they pay for their self quickly doing repairs and maintenance.
The service manual will have more information than the owners manual.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Thanks for the pictures. That is a very nice looking tractor.
I would make sure the rear end was full of 80-90 gear oil, with no water in there.
We had growling noise in our 44, and it ended up being wore out or damaged bearings.
We had all that trouble because the original owner let it roll backwards into a pond
and instead of draining the rear end oil out, and flushing it with kerosene or diesel fuel, then refilling the rear end with new gear oil, he let the water stay in there. Was in there a good 15 to 20 years before we bought the tractor, and as so, messed up the bearings. We actually got around a quart of pond mud out of it that we had to work out the oil drain hole with a coat hanger while we constantly flushed it out till all we had left was clean kerosene.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the welcomings!
Well the tractor is complete as far as i can tell at least, but i think it looks a bit better in the pictures than in real life, it needs some cleaning and some maintenance but otherwise it's in decent condition i think.

Ok I'll try to get the thermostat of the tractor and test it that way, I'll try to figure out if the belt pulley has a separate oil reservoir, but it's quite hard to see anything through the filler plug, i guess i might have to take the top cover off.
I was thinking of getting a manual as well, but just as you say they are pretty pricey and they all seem to be sold in America, shipping from America to Sweden very isn't cheap either. But oh well I'll think about getting one

Yeah I'm really hoping the gears and bearings are ok in the transmission, but since it's growling a bit i guess you never know, might be worth checking? in case the bearings are worn/rusted I mean... I've found out that you never quite know what the previous owners have done to these old machines, something like what happened to your 44 doesn't seem that rare...

I have some more questions as well. Are the front wheel bearings supposed to be lubricated by oil or grease? I don't see any filler plug on them so I'm guessing that they're supposed to be packed with grease?
The steering itself has a bit of play in it, is there some way to reduce the play by adjustments? It seems like most of the play is in the steering box under the radiator...
Also, i was thinking of the engine oil pressure, I feel like it has a bit to high pressure, the gauge is rated between 0 to 25 something, i don't know if it's psi or pounds, but i'm guessing pounds? Anyway, just by turning over the engine with the starter motor it gets up to about 15... and as soon as the engine starts the gauge just shoots up to max pressure regardless of what the rpm the engine is running at. It feels wrong to me, but I'm not sure... Could a clogged oil pipe ore something cause over pressure?

·
Registered
66 Posts
It's quite incomprehensible to me why these old manuals are not available to download for free. For my Case garden tractor all the manuals (service, operator) are free to download.

Looks hard to find the operator and service manual for my Massey Harris 33 and was lucky to find them for sale within Canada so shipping didn't kill me.

Since then I have scanned and converted them to pdf files so I can have them on my phone all the time, JUST IN CASE!

Unfortunately my Service Data for Massey-Harris Engine only includes model 21 and up to 55D or I'd have sent you the pdf. Maybe a kind soul here has the manual you need.

Regarding your oil pressure, the easy way to test is with a different pressure gauge because the old gauge may be broken. They should be cheap to find locally, just make sure it has the same thread and diameter (probably a 1/8 npt). Most likely you can find this Bosch gauge cheap in Sweden

https://www.amazon.ca/Bosch-SP0F000052-Style-Mechanical-Pressure/dp/B00UM9X4UW/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=oil+pressure+gauge&qid=1583263610&sr=8-3

But even something cheaper.

If the gauge isn't the problem and indeed you have something blocked it's conceivable that you get high pressure in the gauge. Do some searches on this site or google about getting the slush out of your oil pan and the rest of the system. On my tractor, before I change the oil first time, I was pretty sure there must be some sludge in the oil. In my case I occasionally had low pressure on the dial. So I put some Seafoam in the oil and let it run for a little bit, then pulled the plug from the pan and let it drain. I could see sludge on the oil drain plug. I'll do this procedure a few times.

Please post some pictures when you work on your tractor, it's entertaining to see these old machines getting fixed. :)

If I come across any literature pertaining your 102 I'll scan it and send it to you.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Those front wheel bearings get grease. Look up[ hand packing wheel bearings.]
You can buy a bearing packer. Clean the bearings with a solvent and start fresh.
If they turn smooth and quiet greasing them could wait.

Old Grease gets hard and doesn't do its job. If you get some time clean the bearings and repack them.
It may keep from damaging a spindle.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Iko: Yeah i found a pdf of the manual for my Ferguson TEA20 online for free as well, it has been very helpful i have to say! Thanks a lot for that link you sent, I might buy the download, it's actually cheaper than the alternatives i found myself and no shipping cost is nice!
I'll probably be able to find something along the lines of that gauge over here, I'll look for one!
If you want to i can post some pictures as i work on it sure! I haven't been taking that many pictures this far sadly, and my camera is pretty bad, but i have a few to show if you'd like to see them :)

203Ind: Thank you for the info! As i guessed then, greased bearings... The wheels roll smoothly so i don't think there's any real issue, but i might take it apart and repack anyway

One question i forgot to ask before, even though it might be in the manual I'll ask it anyway. There's a cap of some sort on top of the water pump on the engine, it's threaded on. My first thought was that it might be some sort of "bleeder" for the cooling system, but it doesn't seem very likely, my second guess is that it might be a greaser or an oil point to lubricate the pump, could that be the case?

To Iko, here are some pictures of the tractor, most of them i took just to remember where things were and how the components looked, so they're not very good or interesting, but oh well.

The Massey the day i got it, in front my 1949 Ferguson that I'm also working on
20121213_030648.jpg
From behind:
20121213_030744.jpg
The hood of:
20121213_032349.jpg
The distributor needed some cleaning but other than that is was ok
20121213_033142.jpg 20121213_033126.jpg
This is how most of the electrical system on this tractor looked/looks like:
20121213_052514.jpg 20121213_064652.jpg
The carburetor off for cleaning sadly no pictures of it apart though...
20121228_062707.jpg
After that I've done quite a lot of work on it but without taking any pictures, so that's about it for now. Ending off with another picture from the first test drive
20121230_060233.jpg

Thank you all so much for your valuable information and help, it means a lot to me!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Here is the Agco parts books. They show exploded views of each section of your tractor. I hope they cover your model.
https://apb.agcocorp.com/
Scroll down to [view books with the red circle] Ignore the log-on.
Type 102 in the search box.
Scroll down and find your tractor.

The cap on your water pump may be to oil the shaft bushings.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks for posting pictures. It's nice to see what others are doing.

I knew about the agco parts book site but couldn't find the 102 listed at all a few days ago when I looked. By the way you can also download the parts book there if you can find the tractor.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the link! Looks like you need a username and a password though, and I have neither of those, it says to contact my closest dealership, so i might try that.

Yeah i feel like it probably is some sort of oiler or greaser, I'll have to take a closer look at it the next time I'm working with the tractor!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks for posting pictures. It's nice to see what others are doing.

I knew about the agco parts book site but couldn't find the 102 listed at all a few days ago when I looked. By the way you can also download the parts book there if you can find the tractor.
you can view the books without a dealership or logon.
Re-read my previous post

Down below the logon at the bottom of the page it says Guest user then click (View books ) Then type model number and you will get a list to choose from.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think I get it now, I was very confused at first since I didn't seem to have an option to log in as a guest, and now from searching about it I've found out that the "Guest user" function for some reason only is available in North America, not in Europe, so that's why I couldn't understand what you meant!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Here is some history I found on the 102 Junior.
"The Model 102 Junior was introduced with an engine that utilized kerosene. When kerosene went out of favor as a fuel,*Model 102 Juniors were outfitted with gasoline engines and distributed as export models."
If your 102 Junior is one of those export models, It could have one of the continental
140 gasoline engines in it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Here's a page with some info. The document has 8 pages and is being sold by someone in the UK on ebay.

mh102jr-1.jpg

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think I get it now, I was very confused at first since I didn't seem to have an option to log in as a guest, and now from searching about it I've found out that the "Guest user" function for some reason only is available in North America, not in Europe, so that's why I couldn't understand what you meant!
If your tractor isn't in the book it wouldn't help anyway.
I don't understand a company like agco not making information easier to access. Maybe they think supporting the older equipment hurts new sales.
There is money in both. look at parts on line. Unless its all aftermarket parts. There are a lot of parts sold out of India
My 203 has a large group of other models that shared parts. Does anyone know if any other models shared parts with the 102 junior HVA59 owns. Or is it in its own class?
Other than the kerosene modification issue

1 - 20 of 43 Posts