Antique Tractors Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
And by the way, i got a link to this very handy shop manual from a Swedish forum, Maskinisten. It covers a variety of Massey Harris models, including the 102! Sadly not your Massey 33 though...
It can be downloaded here, hope the link works...

·
Registered
76 Posts
And by the way, i got a link to this very handy shop manual from a Swedish forum, Maskinisten. It covers a variety of Massey Harris models, including the 102! Sadly not your Massey 33 though...
It can be downloaded here, hope the link works...
Thank you, I have a manual for my tractor. What I have too little is time to work on it. My cast iron exhaust manifold is broken and cannot find one, so I must fabricate one somehow.

Keep us updated with your progress!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
There hasn't been much going on with the Massey lately, but I've done some things. I took the radiator of and saw that the main leak from it probably was a bad radiator hose that was leaking. I flushed the radiator so hopefully it'll not overflow anymore. I also took the governor apart, and it looked pretty good on the inside, but there was a part that was missing, and a thick, mysterious washer that was not supposed to be there. Anyway i think i might have fixed the problem, but I'm not sure since i haven't tried it yet. I also tried to take the play out of the steering by tightening the steering box, but i need to remove the box to do this, I also need to replace the seal in the bottom of the steering box. But i can't get the pins in the steering joint out, i need to get them out of there somehow to remove the steering box but they are really stuck there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I have done some more work on the Massey Harris, I gave up on the steering and put it together with some grease for now, I'll probably try to take it apart some time later, but i wanted to test some other things now... I got the fuel line to almost stop leaking, there's one brass fitting that's still leaking a little bit, but not much. The fuel tap had a bad fiber gasket or something in it i found out, I didn't have any fiber material that was thick enough so i made a new one in rubber temporarily, I'll probably not last for very long but for now it'll have to do.
Cleaning the radiator turned out to be a good idea, I didn't have any problem with it during my test run, but it is leaking slightly.
I made 2 new pieces for the throttle linkage, to get the governor to respond a bit better. But I made one of them a bit too long and didn't thread it far enough so I'll have to fix that...

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
A small seeping radiator leak can be stopped with a stop leak product.. I have had good luck with it. Bars stop leak.
I don't often use those products but I have had good luck with it.in situations like yours.
Its always better to fix a radiator by sending it to a radiator shop but on a tractor that isn't used daily the stop leak products are a option.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have poured a handful of ground black pepper into the radiator before for a temporary fix, till I got a chance to get the radiator pulled and to a shop when it had a slow leak.
This method works okay as well, since the black pepper is kept and used in most households.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have used a radiator leak product too, small leak stopped and is so for about a year. Mind you, on my truck, new radiator came leaky.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quick rule of thumb. A stuck thermostat will normally trap the water in the top of the block. The top hose will be hot but the bottom hose will be cold. If both hoses are hot, this would indicate a stuck open or even a missing thermostat. Also with the radiator cap off there should be water moving if thermostat is open. If closed the water will be still but hot.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts