Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI ALL. well came home tonight. not much to do so i started on my massey 81.ive had the tin off for a few years while i changed the radiator. so tonight i put it back on just to see how it goes back together.found out i have some broken bolts. and some 1/4 threds are 5/16 now. not sure what iam doing there yet.some of my mounting holes on my hood/dash and side panals are cracked or part missing. whats the best way to fix them with out changeing the part. ill keep you all posted. pics tomorrow i hope.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
I guess it depends on if you are wanting to do a super restoration or if you are wanting to just put the tractor to use and keep old looking. Do you have access to a mig welder and an angle grinder, maybe some 18 maybe 20 ga. sheet metal (for a patch) ?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Great looking project!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HI and THANKS. iam a little scared starting this project. because this one means something to me.so i think iam gonna practice on one first. iam gonna do some fixin on a massey harris 81 i bought for parts. this tractor is 10 numbers away from my grandpas tractor. i bought it about 80 miles f
rom his.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I can understand why you may be a little nervus,but that other tractor looks 10 times more challanging to restore. I'd be affraid for you that it would end up costing a good bit,getting you stressed then you wouldn't want to takle your fathers. I say do you fathers first :D Whats the worst that can happen? We'll be here to cheer you on and answer any questions you may have along the way

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Gosh I love this style tractor....so much in the way of style and such great running machines. I have my 20 and my friend has a 22 he is restoring now. I cant wait to see the progress on either machine

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
YEP when i got my grandpas tractor they grew on me. they have a look all there own. there easy to spot too. theres a pretty nice 20 for sale in morley mich.

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
I agree with Jason looking at the pictures your grandpa's would probably be a much easier tractor to fix up. The holes I can see in the sheet metal don't look that bad and if its a small split where the hole s close to the edge one thing I have done is fill it with JB Weld, sand it down and redrill the hole. If this is your first project and one that has memories it can really make you nervous but remember it doesn't have to be done in a day if something don't look to suit just think about what you want it to do and try another way it will work out and there are a lot of people on this site that have a lot of knowledge about what your doing and will be glad to help. I have learned a whole lot on this site just watching how members go about doing different things and if I have needed to know something someone that has had the problem I am having has always helped. I guess what I've spent a long time saying is go for it you'll do good.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts