Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This old Model 25 was dead long before I came around and was bought by our grandfather new. With the motor going bad before I was born, it sat for 30 plus years outside our toolshed and while I was gone playing with the Marines, my much older brother dragged it home and pulled the engine. The engine being toast was replaced by an identical engine off of a Massey Harris power unit also purchased by our grandfather new.

Sorry I couldn't get too good of pictures around the old fellow....but here is where it has been living since the mid '70's occasionally being pulled out, fired and exercised.

It's living a life of leisure in his retirement (kinda like my much older brother), and it seems like it just belongs here instead of laying in the weeds. My oldest uncle spent countless hours daylight to dark on this old fellow, but I believe my own father seldom drove it, preferring teams of horses or mules at the time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
prwttsh that tractor is a model 25 new in 1937 I have the original order form from the Massey Harris block man. Also have the bill of sale that came with the tractor. Our Grandfather bought at that time a 10 Massey Harris tandam disk. Yours truly pulled that disk many miles with a 44 Massey Harris tractor.

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
There's a piece of family history to be proud of for sure and the paperwork to boot. Looks like its been taken good care of and not bent up. That grill screen looks perfect. When I saw the two tanks I thought it might be a duel fuel but then I noticed the two caps on the small tank. Never seen one like it before I see the two lines just wondering what it was for. Won't be that long till that one will be in the family 100 years and won't that be something. :)

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Wendell, I know where there's a NOS set of pistons & sleeves for it if you're interested.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Gordon1121 , The small tank behind the large tank is seperated into 2 parts. One is for water the other is for gasoline. You can fill the large tank with kerosine , you turn valve off on large tank open valve on the gas tank and start it on gas when it gets warmed up you can then open the large tank to use kerosine, then turn valve off on little tank. There is cast iron cover to go over the intake and exaust manifold to heat them , then when you plowing or other hard work you can open the little valve to mix water with the kerosine to get maxium power from the enguine. I do have the covers. Let me tell you that tractor is very loud 4 3/8 dia. pistons 1200 rpm full throtle. It also has a 19 inch pulley. It used to be wicked on the belt. It was used on the silage cutter, then the blower after we got a field chupper. Excuse my spelling my stiff fingers don't bend to good . Oh, well . When I rebuilt it I replaced a lot of seals and some bearings. I will get out the summer and get M M M to take some more pictures of it. Thanks for the comment gordon 1121

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
there one of these tractors about 2 miles from me all restored and for sale sitin in a barn. if i wasnt in the mood for sellin some of the tractors id probably go get it

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wizzard said:
there one of these tractors about 2 miles from me all restored and for sale sitin in a barn. if i wasnt in the mood for sellin some of the tractors id probably go get it
Hmmmmm....just how far from Festus Mo. is that old restored 25 sitting ???? I probably couldn't afford it anyway.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd forgotten that Old Salty was used on the silage blower. Ever since I can remember we used the 101 Super on the blower because of the much higher rpm of the flathead 6 banger. I had never seen the 25 run until one summer about 15 years ago when you had it out for your oldest son to drive around. Why did we always use one of the 44's on the hammer mill, but Super on the silage blower ???

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
As always I love your stories and that tractor is fantastic, I have to admit...work clothes over restored anyday for me :D

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Derick; I have to agree. Sorta like people, to me look so much better when they look their age and show a few of lifes battle scars :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wendell, do you remember busting your upper lip on that crank? You and I were playing with Old Salty, the crank somehow hit you in the mouth and that was the end of our playing that day! You were just a little shaver and may not remember that.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Alaskan said:
Wendell, do you remember busting your upper lip on that crank? You and I were playing with Old Salty, the crank somehow hit you in the mouth and that was the end of our playing that day! You were just a little shaver and may not remember that.
No, I sure don't remember that at all. I don't even remember it ever running when I was a kid...it always sat either in the lean to on the tool shed or drug out laid to rest and dead as a door nail east of the chicken house, west of the combine shed.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Stephenscity said:
Derick; I have to agree. Sorta like people, to me look so much better when they look their age and show a few of lifes battle scars :lol: :lol:
Me too .. somehow they take the soul when they do em up..

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Great story, I can feel the dedication to persevering family items and traditions in this thread. Lot of wok to keep hanging on to something that a lot of folks would have taken to the scrapper years ago.
Thanks for posting the pictures!
Regards,
Chris

1 - 15 of 15 Posts