Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know several of y'all raise transplants and most garden.
Are people asking you for tomato transplants?
What are you telling them? I am telling them it's to early
mine arent ready yet anyway our 80% frost free date here is Apr 25

Any y'all planted a couple just in case?
I might if they were ready.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Not before the begining of May, or you'll end up covering or losing them

·
Super Moderator
7,859 Posts
I planted some last year the earliest I have ever planted and they did well. Normally April 15 to 20 would be plenty early, but last year it was pretty and no cold weather was in sight and we put some out before April 10. Our average last freeze is around April 15. I don't sell very many plants, not even at the farmers market. Idon't really know why other than it's not convenient for folks to get them while at the market. I used to sell lots of mater plants years when I grew tobacco and raised my own tobacco plants in plantbeds. I'd sow rows of mater seeds around the edge. Those plants would be as tough as a pine knot and they were sold bare-rooted.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
I know the weather here in Kentucky has been tempting Bruce, but we're holding off on our summer vegetables to about the usual May 10th-12th... though that being said as long as we wait you should be safe to plant early! As sure as we put them in the ground before the 10th it will frost 1/4" thick... :lol: I definitely don't blame you for wanting to hold off though, I would think the last week of April would be about as early as we could safely go here... but I've been wrong plenty of times before. Best of luck! :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts