Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thursday and Frisay may have been the just under 2000$ i have spent. We have had a lot of power outages and power surges this summer; more than we have ever had. About 2-3 mnths ago i came in at noon, just in time to see a fireball fly out of an electrical strip; fortunately it didn't catch the carpet on fire. I knew the breakers were bad as they tripped easily and were mushy when i would retrip them. Now i know just enough about high voltage to get my self killed; so obviously i don't go there and do that. Immediately i started scrambling to find a competent electrician. After inspecting it we set the date for ThurFri to re do the serious stuff. After shutting off juice He ran new conduit through the roof of the house and got the strain off the framework; was an old time insulator screwed into the frame work that held the line coming in. In doing so the high line was raised appx 6 feet. The breaker was worse than we thought; all 6 of the panels had on 2 switches two heavy amp lines hooked on the switch. So that whole mess was redone with a total of 9 new panels that are well grounded. High use circuits all through the house were additionally grounded. With all the work He did the bill was just under 2000$. Before i contacted Him i was expecting it to run at least 5000$ Now i can rest a whole lot easier knowing this is taken care of. Based on what i saw trouble was definately headed down this road hard and fast. I have never been this comforatable with spending a couple grand.

G

·
0 Posts
Good for you Melvin. Glad you found someone who was concerned more with your safety than his wallet. My last house was like that and we had the previous owner upgrade before we bought. Thats some scary stuff when its outdated. Bet you'll sleep better at night now :cool:

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I must admit i have always had a fobia of being trapped in a fire; and this removes the stress. A guy could break through the window to get out;if He knows in time. Now i feel that need is removed.

·
Super Moderator
7,861 Posts
A safe living environment is definately worth the price. Glad you got things taken care of.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Good for you Melvin ,glad to hear you got that taken care of.
Now you won't have to sleep wilt one eye open.............

1 - 8 of 8 Posts