Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wife and I want a smaller car to tool around in vs our f350 and her yukon.

better fuel.. and she really wants something old tech.. with points.. no electronics.. etc.

We've both settled on a vw bug.

had also considered an old ford truck.. but they are too pricey and rare around here.

starting to look around now.. :)

·
Super Moderator
1,612 Posts
Hope you find what you're looking for. There's not too many VW bugs around here. Photo please. :D

·
Super Moderator
8,441 Posts
I've been in a few, and somewhere around '67 or '68 the engine size increased a bit. They seemed a bit better to me then.

·
Super Moderator
8,441 Posts
soundguy said:
i've got some old nots and see ref to a 1500 and 1600 guessing those are CC / size?
Engine size was probably in cubic centimeters. I remember my bike engine being sized that way.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
How much you willing to spend, and how far you willing to go to get one? My sister in laws father has one hes selling. Convertable too! Hes just finished redoing alot on it, not that it was in bad shape, just needed a little TLC. I know the engine was rebuilt by "professional" classic VW guy I think in GA.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i'd probbalyt drive a state and spend 'reasonable' money for one... however.. a convertible isn't on my list unfortunately. wife's skin is as fair as a marshmello.. sun bites it pretty hard.

·
Registered
312 Posts
The old VW's were an amazing "snow-mobile" with the right "PILOT!"

·
Registered
269 Posts
I also want something without a computer. Saw what you might want the other day, early 70s F100, very few miles, third owner, all family, excellent original condition, which is saying something in the land of salted roads. Reminds me about a friends story, he drove big straight Ford sixes for decades and while at the wreckers for something else he asked the fellow if he had a good Ford straight six. The reply was " they didn't make one".

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i saw an old vintage dodge the other day.. looked great. was gonna pull over .. wife said.. keep driving.. i'n not driving a truck.. ;)

·
Registered
320 Posts
Great cars with excellent engineering except the air cooled design which unfortunately doesn't produce much heat for the windshield defroster. Better keep an ice scraper handy during the winter.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
soundguy said:
probably not too much to worry about in fl...
Uh...dunno, but with all this global warming maybe Florida will start freezing more often. :cool: :cool: IIRC, don't you have to drop the motor just to change the plugs in the old bugs?? I'm thinking there were only four bolts holding it in there...but that's about a 50 year old memory trying to surface.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts