Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were finally able to get the McCormick Deering 15-30 home from my in-laws farm. It's in working shape though it hasn't run in 10 years.

As we prepare to get it running and looking good again, I'm puzzled by the broken site glass/light/??? that sits atop the radiator. I can't find photos of any other 15-30 that has this contraption on it. Any help or pointing in the right direction would be appreciated!
IMG_5639[1].JPG
IMG_5639[1].JPG IMG_5640[1].JPG IMG_5641[1].JPG
IMG_5642[1].JPG
IMG_5642[1].JPG

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The fourth image shows what almost looks to be a thermometer glass inside. Assuming there was a glass cover on the back that is now open. I'm still baffled by it and can find nothing on it at all. If I knew what to even call it, that would help.

·
Super Moderator
1,602 Posts
It is a heat gauge called a Pyrerometer

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a heat gauge called a Pyrerometer
thanks - that helps. We have a rather large IH-Farmall junk yard 20 miles from here, and at least now I know what to call it when I stop in to see about finding replacement glass. Even searching for that, I'm finding no information or photos online. Gonna be a tough part of the restoration, methinks...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
your answer helped me track down better what this was. It does appear to be an aftermarket part in the 1920s called a "Boyce Motometer." It's hard to decipher anything on the glass but there should be printing on it (probably not with the McCormick Deering logo) likely with just the "boyce motometer" logo and info on it. That may be easier to secure replacement glass from.

Reactions: Red Kiwi

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was able to pull the glass from the one side today and it was the corrosion on the metal plate beneath that made it impossible to see any information. Both plates were corroded too badly, but I was able to clean them up to see what style they both had, and have since found a replacement on ebay of all places. Between the two information plates and the glass from the replacement, I'll have it restored to pretty good condition. It appears that the thermometer is also working normally so it should function again once we attempt to fire it up. Need to clean out fuel and coolant lines first, however, as the gas has been sitting for 10 years or more. I'll post a couple of photos of the plates' condition here later.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is it a secret where this junkyard is? I knew of a couple in Illinois 40+ years ago but I think they are gone. I'm in MI now but haven't come across any Farmall junkyards.

Paul
It's in Maxwell Nebraska. the full name escapes me at the moment but it's "Miller's Repair" or something to that effect. They are also a parts and service place, although they don't install tires as I recently find out. They just sell them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts