Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

The generator on my W4 is not working. Any thoughts on it? Some say leave it as a 6 volt system and others say change it over to a 12 volt system. Any thoughts.

Ontario Canada
TractorDiva

·
Super Moderator
7,920 Posts
What is your preference, keep it original, or prefer easier starting in cold weather, brighter lights, eliminate the voltage regulator? You can use the current starter on a 12 volt system you have if it is properly working. I have changed all my original 6 volt tractors to 12 volt systems except for one.

·
Administrator
4,000 Posts
If it's a working tractor, I agree with Jim. If it's a show queen, I would replace or repair the generator. Just my preferences.
Some replacement generators cost more than the parts to convert the system to 12 volts. So it may be worth pricing things

·
Super Moderator
7,920 Posts
12 volt batteries are also considerably less expensive than 6 volt batteries.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is your preference, keep it original, or prefer easier starting in cold weather, brighter lights, eliminate the voltage regulator? You can use the current starter on a 12 volt system you have if it is properly working. I have changed all my original 6 volt tractors to 12 volt systems except for one.
Hello Jim,

Thanks for responding! I wish I had your climate in NC, a beautiful state. My beloved Tractor is a family heirloom, purchased when my Dad was 7 (1947) and the only working tractor on the family farm. My dad in recent years now has Dementia and my goal is to get the tractor where I would like it to be when I have the funds. Last summer I spent $1300 on it as it had been sitting in my Dad's barn untouched for quite a few years.. So it was with great delight I was able to drive it around the yard after the mechanic looked at it (new carburetor kit, topped up fluids, changed the oil etc), unfortunately with out my Dad looking on as he now resides in a nursing home. So as someone fumbling through trying to resolve the tractor problems I need to fix the generator, replace some gauges and buy some new tires all the way around as they are cracked.
So I have a few other questions?
The generator - talked to the mechanic and he advised to change over to a 12 volt system. But as you've said, its all personal preferences with wanting to keep it original or not. If I do switch it over the good thing is that the hood of the tractor will be covered so no one would notice if the part wasn't original. However someone did mention to me to take the generator off my tractor into a parts dealer and ask them if it could be rebuilt or they would be able to diagnose the problem with it? What are your thoughts....? Used parts for a W4 in Ontario are hard to come by for sure and I believe a new 6 volt generator is $300 US. (maybe not)
Tires - I think because this tractor is for show only and I drive it the odd time, I am going with used tires. Also someone advised to take the liquid calcium out of the back tires as I don't think I will be doing any pulling with it. Currently all tires are holding air and the calcium is not leaking. Thoughts?

Well thanks all for your time....great connecting with others...

Regards,
Lisa Keetch

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it's a working tractor, I agree with Jim. If it's a show queen, I would replace or repair the generator. Just my preferences.
Some replacement generators cost more than the parts to convert the system to 12 volts. So it may be worth pricing things
Hello BigDaveinKY,

Please hop onto my comments above with JIM as I value your input too!. I hope you are managing with the world wide Cover-19 pandemic.

Thanks
Lisa Keetch

·
Super Moderator
7,920 Posts
Lisa here i can buy a 12v battery, a 26R, for around $50 at Walmart, a rebuilt Delco alternator for a late 1970s to early 1980s GM 6 cylinder vehicle for $50 to 60, or less at a junkyard. Both the pigtail connector and voltage reducing resistor which you may need for a 6v coil are. $ 10 to 12 here. You will have to get a bit creative to mount the alternator on your tractor so it's pulley is aligned with the others on the tractor. Most likely yor.will need a longer drive belt. I will try to post a pic but I must first learn how to do it on the new site.

·
Administrator
4,000 Posts
Welcome to the site Miss Lisa. You have a dandy looking W4.
Question. Has the charging system been checked to see what's not working? It may be a simple fix .
If the tractor has sat for awhile as you stated the generator may have lost it's polarity, and may be revived by "flashing the field".
Make a jumper wire (14 or 16 gauge) long enough to reach from the battery to the generator. Put alligator clips on both ends. To polarize a generator on a tractor having a 6V positive ground system attach one clip to the A terminal on the generator. With the other clip, briefly for only a split-second tap the negative terminal on the battery.
This can be done with or without the tractor running. I suggest running, results are instantaneous.
It could also be the voltage regulator not working. When in doubt I just replace one. They are only about $20. Or it could be the ammeter. A ohmmeter across the terminals will show resistance if it's good, an Open condition if it's not. I would think your estimate is close to a new generator price.
Checked (or cracked) rear tires can last for another 20 years. I generally don't replace mine until the sidewalls start flaking off. This is your preference. Mine are working tractors. I've never run half the tread off a tractor tire. Then I don't take mine out on the road. Do pump the calcium out of them if you don't plan pull a plow or disc or use a front loader with it. Calcium corrodes the valve stems and will leak just enough that one doesn't notice, but will eventually destroy the rims. It also makes the tires and wheels "sweat" with temperature and humidity changes. That also tends to help rust the wheels.Your tractor has wheel weights on the rear anyway. No need for extra ballast in my opinion.

There are plenty of places that sell parts for old tractors in Canada and the U.S. I'm not familiar with shipping prices crossing the border though.
Steiner's tractor parts is a big one. Also salvage yards like All States Ag for used parts. A web search will turn up several.

·
Super Moderator
1,522 Posts
Stay away from an ultinator, they give good service but they are not authentic for a W4. My advise is to go for a 12volt generator and alter the system according you will get far better service over a 6 volt service. With a generator it's authentic because that's what they came out with.
There's very little difference between the appearance of a 6 volt or 12 volt generator.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lisa here i can buy a 12v battery, a 26R, for around $50 at Walmart, a rebuilt Delco alternator for a late 1970s to early 1980s GM 6 cylinder vehicle for $50 to 60, or less at a junkyard. Both the pigtail connector and voltage reducing resistor which you may need for a 6v coil are. $ 10 to 12 here. You will have to get a bit creative to mount the alternator on your tractor so it's pulley is aligned with the others on the tractor. Most likely yor.will need a longer drive belt. I will try to post a pic but I must first learn how to do it on the new site.

·
Super Moderator
7,920 Posts
Here are some pics. The alternator, fan, and crankshaft pulleys must be in alignment. The two pics from the redder tractor are from a 140, and the pics from the faded-paint tractor is a Super A. I used the top generator bracket and used scrap metal to make a lower.bracket.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts