Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watermelons are perfectly ripe,,,,,sweet and juicy and delicious this year.
The past two years they had a bitter, cucumber-ish taste to them.
I'm guessing from the hotter and or dryer weather we had.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Looks really good. Glad you are having good luck with them this year

·
Super Moderator
8,033 Posts
It looks great Dave. Nearly half of my crimson sweet melon plants perished from our late June through July heat and dryness. The ones that survived have been good. Heat combined with a little dryness is good for them.
I made a serious attempt to produce some Ledmons this year. We planted about 75 hills, a little later than desired, because of the weather. Most of them died as well but I have a few plants still going. I may get a handful of melons from them. When I discovered the one below, I put a protective structure around it to hopefully shelter it from the critters. Hope to open it up today or tomorrow.

·
Administrator
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now that's a melon :love: 32 lb.Crimson sweet....and there's a couple more a bit bigger. We had a good melon season in the middle of KY.

Just as sweet as the Sugarbaby. and almost three times as much. It might take me a little longer to finish off this one.

·
Super Moderator
8,033 Posts
Have a party! On the news here this week it was reported that families were reviving an old tradition. It is having a watermelon outside usually before dusk. Folks here did it often when I was growing up.

Miss Joanne and I cut this one today. It should be nicely chilled by now and in a few minutes we are gonna enjoy some. I was also thankful to get the seeds. Ledmon seeds are scarce. It was common for farmers to save seeds from a large melon, but one that I knew got seeds from the small melons and always sold the large ones. He said that since a melon vine could have small and large.melons on the same plant, the seeds would be the same. That's what I always thought, but I was just a youngin.

Attachments

·
Administrator
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have a party! On the news here this week it was reported that families were reviving an old tradition. It is having a watermelon outside usually before dusk. Folks here did it often when I was growing up.........
We used to do that. We would put the melons in the creek and let them cool all afternoon. Then when we finished our after supper chores for the day.
Take them to the picnic table under a big 100+year old maple tree that used to stand in the yard and enjoy the cold refreshing treat as the sun was setting.

·
Super Moderator
8,033 Posts
Hauled this one out of the field yesterday.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I dont think I could eat that one all by myself. I would have to invite the whole family over. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts