Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Herefordshire England
I just bought a MF203 mk2 and I am not able to find the year.
I think the serial no is 831242 can anyone help,
also how does this tractor compare to a 35
Cheers

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
203 Serial Numbers:
1961: 659000001
1962: 659000681
1963: 659001379
1964: 659001767
1965: 659002054
1966: 659002667
1967: 9A10001
The 203 is basically the 135 tractor with a heavier front axle and front radiator cover. Only with perkins option. Be careful of engine serial number when ordering parts because of changes. I'm rebuilding my 203 engine and transmission. I have ordered a lot of 135 parts because they often don't list the 203 in the description. ..Do your homework buying parts.
Use agco part numbers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
203 Serial Numbers:
1961: 659000001
1962: 659000681
1963: 659001379
1964: 659001767
1965: 659002054
1966: 659002667
1967: 9A10001
The 203 is basically the 135 tractor with a heavier front axle and front radiator cover. Only with perkins option. Be careful of engine serial number when ordering parts because of changes. I'm rebuilding my 203 engine and transmission. I have ordered a lot of 135 parts because they often don't list the 203 in the description. ..Do your homework buying parts.
Use agco part numbers.

Hi thanks for that, I will try and upload some photos from the number plate it is a d which would make it 1966
thumbnail_IMG_20200505_132749.jpg

Cheers

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Hi thanks for that, I will try and upload some photos from the number plate it is a d which would make it 1966 View attachment 20764
Cheers
Your engine serial number is stamped in a flat spot above the injector pump and just below the head next to the bypass fitting.
I thought the D after the serial number designated it as a diesel. I could be wrong.
Your serial numbers in the U. K. appear to have a different format. Maybe a forum member from your country can give more information.

The 203 Industrial has dry disk brakes and planetary gears at the end of the axle and I believe the 135 has drum brakes

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your engine serial number is stamped in a flat spot above the injector pump and just below the head next to the bypass fitting.
I thought the D after the serial number designated it as a diesel. I could be wrong.
Your serial numbers in the U. K. appear to have a different format. Maybe a forum member from your country can give more information.

The 203 Industrial has dry disk brakes and planetary gears at the end of the axle and I believe the 135 has drum brakes
That is interesting I was about to buy some brake shoes as I have another problem the one wheel appears to be locked up.
The D I mentioned is the last letter of the number plate or us licence plate in the UK that would be 1966
Cheers

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
That is interesting I was about to buy some brake shoes as I have another problem the one wheel appears to be locked up.
The D I mentioned is the last letter of the number plate or us licence plate in the UK that would be 1966
Cheers
Cheers
Follow the linkage rod that's hooked to the brake pedal on the stuck side. Disconnect the linkage rod and work it back and forth. It could be a stuck brake if they left the brake lock on for years while it was R. I. P..
The disk brakes are close to the differential .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Follow the linkage rod that's hooked to the brake pedal on the stuck side. Disconnect the linkage rod and work it back and forth. It could be a stuck brake if they left the brake lock on for years while it was R. I. P..
The disk brakes are close to the differential .
T

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again
Still had no luck with the serial no the one on the block is 2329190
the one on the alloy plate buy the steering wheel is 831242
Cheers

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
That appears to be a proper serial number tag. It's possible they changed the dash or tag from a 135 or another model that uses the same dash.. Perhaps another forum member will know more.
Look good at the dash and other body panels and compare paint layers for signs that the dash is different and been changed.
One thing you need to check is the fluid in the planetary gears out by the rear wheels. They have a separate small oil reservoir. They don't share the differential oil like most axles. There is a pipe plug to fill to proper level. Hopefully your locked wheel isn't a problem with the planetary gears on that wheel.
A service manual is needed to know all the important things to maintain. Lack of service causes most breakdown's.
The cost about 50 to 75 dollars in the U.S. but are priceless for owning and maintaining a tractor.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
It may be the 165 rear axle. I haven't researched that. If a more knowledgeable Massy Ferguson forum member would weigh in on that it would be good. I'm a 40 year Farmall I.H. guy that just bought a M.F. 203 last September. I have gained some forced knowledge in eight months on my 203 because I needed an engine and transmission rebuild; I really haven't got into the rest of the tractor that much.. Hopefully Ill get a break on not having any more major problems for a while. My rear wheels turn smooth and quiet.
I read some of the service manual on the rear axle to make sure I serviced it correctly..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It may be the 165 rear axle. I haven't researched that. If a more knowledgeable Massy Ferguson forum member would weigh in on that it would be good. I'm a 40 year Farmall I.H. guy that just bought a M.F. 203 last September. I have gained some forced knowledge in eight months on my 203 because I needed an engine and transmission rebuild; I really haven't got into the rest of the tractor that much.. Hopefully Ill get a break on not having any more major problems for a while. My rear wheels turn smooth and quiet.
I read some of the service manual on the rear axle to make sure I serviced it correctly..
Thanks for the information so far. I hope some one else will chip in
Cheers

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Thanks for the information so far. I hope some one else will chip in
Cheers
Doing some comparison it does look like it is the 165 axle.
Massey Ferguson used different combinations of their standard parts in so many different models in the 60's and 70's. Auto makers of that era did the same thing. It was a good tractor maker of the time. I think they still build them in India. .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just been looking at some photos of the old girl, it looks like it has discs for the main brakes and drums for the hand brake, I cannot see wye they have done that.
any one feel like diving in
cheers.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
I had been wondered why my 1962 M.F. 203 doesn't have a separate E brake. My 2004 F350 has a drum E brake right next to the rear disk brakes. I believe the disk brake that has great stopping power doesn't make a good E break.
My 203 has a little ratchet lock to lock the brake peddle down. Unless the brakes are adjusted tight that system of locking the peddle doesn't work very well. Massey Ferguson must have decided between 1962 when mine was made and 1966 when yours was made that a separate E brake was necessary. Its possible there were too many tractors rolling down hills. Perhaps liability lawsuits.
Its more difficult to forget to disengage the Brake with that handle sticking up in front of you. A locked brake peddle can be forgotten.
I may not have answered your question. I just gave some facts and some opinion.
The M. F. engineers that made the change between 1962 and 1966 are the only ones that really know.

As a young man I drove many tractors that had very poor or no breaks.You learn to use gearing and planning ahead to stop. Not very safe. I think the large amount of weight and leverage the rear wheel has makes braking hard on brake pads. Mechanical brakes require frequent adjustment.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had been wondered why my 1962 M.F. 203 doesn't have a separate E brake. My 2004 F350 has a drum E brake right next to the rear disk brakes. I believe the disk brake that has great stopping power doesn't make a good E break.
My 203 has a little ratchet lock to lock the brake peddle down. Unless the brakes are adjusted tight that system of locking the peddle doesn't work very well. Massey Ferguson must have decided between 1962 when mine was made and 1966 when yours was made that a separate E brake was necessary. Its possible there were too many tractors rolling down hills. Perhaps liability lawsuits.
Its more difficult to forget to disengage the Brake with that handle sticking up in front of you. A locked brake peddle can be forgotten.
I may not have answered your question. I just gave some facts and some opinion.
The M. F. engineers that made the change between 1962 and 1966 are the only ones that really know.

As a young man I drove many tractors that had very poor or no breaks.You learn to use gearing and planning ahead to stop. Not very safe. I think the large amount of weight and leverage the rear wheel has makes braking hard on brake pads. Mechanical brakes require frequent adjustment.
Hi just arrived back from Hereford shire, the tractor had been off loaded on the front lawn so it had to be moved .
after dragging it off the lawn and up the yard for about 3m / 4m the wheel started turning so I managed to get it in to the work shop.
I was not sure if it was the breaks that had freed up or something jamming the planet gears had been the problem so off with the planet housing hoping for the best outcome.
it all turned out ok all the gears were turning and looked like new, Happy days

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Hi just arrived back from Hereford shire, the tractor had been off loaded on the front lawn so it had to be moved .
after dragging it off the lawn and up the yard for about 3m / 4m the wheel started turning so I managed to get it in to the work shop.
I was not sure if it was the breaks that had freed up or something jamming the planet gears had been the problem so off with the planet housing hoping for the best outcome.
[/QUOTE
That is good news. Rusty brake rotors possible. It should get better.
The fun begins. Fluids and filters and a grease gun to begin with.Keep us posted on your progress.
Mike

1 - 20 of 20 Posts