Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this old beast for 40 years. Put a 162 conti in it because the last guy wallowed out the cylinders with a ball hone.
I made a three point for it and added a cut down loader from an Allis.
In the last year or so, the cluth has gotten unpredictable. Sometimes it releases when you push the pedal, sometimes it just keeps going and you have to kill the ignition.
I was pushing snow a few weeks ago when the clutch decided to not relese. We pushed it back into its spot and covered it.
I pulled the cover plate on the bottom of the housing to see what i could see. The friction disk looks ok, maybe 1/8 inch thick, maybe a bit more. When you throw the clutch in and out, the whole clutch mechanism is moving axially about 3/323 of an inch. I dont know if it is the flywheel loose or hopefully not the crank with that kind of end play.
I need to pull that end apart to figure out the issue.
Is pulling the clutch bell housing and side pto box and leaving the motor in place on its mounts a feasable way of getting in there? It looks like by removing the drive shaft there is enough room to pull that back far enough to get it out of the way.
Its been so long, I dont remember what all is there.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Sounds like the throw-out bearing to me. I have a 20 and a 22, but have not yet had any clutch problems with them, so, I cant be much help. Me and a friend replaced the clutch in a farmall cub, and used the service manual to go by. That may be your best bet, if you are wanting to tear into it yourself. I know, on the cub, we blocked up the rear end pulled the front forward with a cherry picker, to get to what we needed to get to.

·
Super Moderator
8,187 Posts
A cousin and I replaced a clutch in a 360 Long many years ago. I would stress what R.J. said. Make sure if you decide to do it and split the tractor, the front and rear are safely supported, the front axle blocked to prevent rocking, and block the wheels to prevent movement.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Massey 22 has a full frame. I can pull the engine or the tranny without breaking apart the tractor. It can be pushed around with no motor or tranny in it.
I am trying to getting info or opinions on whether removing the driveshaft and side pto box/clutch housing is possible without moving the engine. Less things to disconnect if its possible. Doing this in the driveway in the cold so trying to make it as quick as possible.

·
Super Moderator
8,187 Posts
Sorry I could not help since I have no experience with a Massey. My main point was to emphasize to be as safe as possible. Best of Luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts