Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Didn't get there in time to get a before photo, but this is a propane fired 44 my much older brother is tearing into while the weather is still cold. First order of business is to get it fired up to make sure the mechanics of the engine are allright. The propane accessories will be eliminated for this process and converted to gasoline.

A good old high arch 44 is nice to have around....however, I believe the motor out of this one is gonna go in his favorite 44 whose engine is blowing more smoke that a dialed up Cummins.

Soon to be abandoned propane evaporator...but you never know, he could decide to dedicate time to restore this one as it is....I'll try to keep you posted.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The 44 Massey Harris in my shop that M M M took pictures of I had already taken the propane tank off it was on abracket i front of the radiator. I had removed the radiator also.I wanted to get to the engine easy. I will save all the propane related parts for sure.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gordon1121 said:
My opinion it won't take long till it'll be running good. I like the wide front, seems like most you see have a narrow.
Not too many 44 standards around here at all, but there are a few hi arch 44's, mostly with the Swartz front end. The vast majority of 44's in the midwest are row crops Gordon. Massey Mechanic said before the 44 standards are a dime a dozen up in Canada and I don't think I've ever seen a picture or video of his that had a row crop 44 !! Massey Harris had two main factories, one in Racine Wisconsin and the other somewhere in Canada, don't remember where. There's a ton of red in Wisconsin and that area.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
prwttsh said:
Not many Masseys around here. Please keep us updated. :D
Oh yeah, I'll keep you posted. By the way the following is his favorite 44 and the one in line to be the recipient of the propane's engine.

If in fact it goes in here, it will be converted to gasoline and the propane parts will go on the shelf. No clue yet as to what's to happen to this motor, it may just be set back in the propane frame or maybe totally gone through and reinstalled...the school is still out of session.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
OK This is off topic but are those horseshoes you are using for tighteners :eek: Gotta give ya credit that is a new one on me :p You truly are an inventive ole cus :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
First thats a good looking 44. I figure the shoes help get the Horse Power to the ground. :) :) :)

missouri massey man said:
gordon1121 said:
My opinion it won't take long till it'll be running good. I like the wide front, seems like most you see have a narrow.
Not too many 44 standards around here at all, but there are a few hi arch 44's, mostly with the Swartz front end. The vast majority of 44's in the midwest are row crops Gordon. Massey Mechanic said before the 44 standards are a dime a dozen up in Canada and I don't think I've ever seen a picture or video of his that had a row crop 44 !! Massey Harris had two main factories, one in Racine Wisconsin and the other somewhere in Canada, don't remember where. There's a ton of red in Wisconsin and that area.
I read one time where they were right across the street from the Case factory and were known to swap parts when one or the other ran out. I did see a picture a couple of weeks ago of a case manure spreader a guy had that his grandpa bought new and he wanted to sell. Long story short it was just about like the Massy I bought.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
I loved riding on one like that as a kid. Guess that shows maybe why I turned out like I did :? :? :eek: :eek: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Stephenscity said:
OK This is off topic but are those horseshoes you are using for tighteners :eek: Gotta give ya credit that is a new one on me :p You truly are an inventive ole cus :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Looking closely at the horseshoes will reveal 1/2" rebar heated, bent and welded on the outer surface to add weight and give additional traction in addition to the horseshoes. Those big o-rings are used as the tensioners. And Mike, the inventiveness on this one goes to my much older brother 'cause this old dog is HIS favorite 44. None of mine look near as good as his. :cry: :cry:

Gordon you are right, they do help transferring the horsepower without slipping and spinning on the ice and snow. (That was a good one by the way). With the added weight of the fluid, cast centers and chains most the time it'll break through down to gravel and even if it doesn't, it just keeps chugging and moving right along.

Also that is a good looking spreader. I didn't know about them factory guys trading parts between Massey and Case. By the way, did you buy the Case also ?

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
Didn't buy the spreader. To far and to high. Couldn't believe he was selling it. His grandpa bought it new and kept it in good shape.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Love the old 44 butane. Yes Massey called them Butanes back in the day. The serial number goes 44 b rc on ours. The motor on ours is seezed from setting for so long with a bad exhust pipe over lap. I'll get to it some day but for now other things are more pressing.

Fellow we bought it from really liked it but he had hired men who liked to take it out in the field and run out of fuel. It had to be towed back to the fuel storage area and get a fill up which took time and both tractors out of the work. Later he made a wagon with the fuel tank mounted on it but still it took time to get the tank to the tractor. so he just parked it and bought diesels to replace it.
I say ours but it is really Kares tractor one of her 4.

Bottom picture.

:D Al

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Al, good to hear from you again. If you ever decide to unload the butane 44 to a worthy owner instead of a refurb....please keep me in mind. :) :)

This particular propane 44 wasn't a factory original. The propane tank was mounted on a bracket over the front end as 400propane already said, and the original gas tank was just left in place. It sat crossways of the grill and was a little ungainly looking, but I'm sure they figured function over form while changing it over.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

As mentioned earlier this one really isn't a factory propane (butane) burner, and the original fuel tank was left in place and a makeshift bracket to hold the LP tank crossways in front of the radiator was fabbed. So this is the way the old timer is looking right now.

Looks like some non-factory items are going to have to be done away with. Sure is awful looking, but I'm certain there was a reason. My much older brother may chime in and describe what all this rig-a-ma-roll did...I'm almost sure it had something to do with the hydraulics.

If it wasn't so wet I'd have taken more shots of this part...looks like a lot of adaption to build some three point. I'll do better next time. He's gonna hafta break out the hammer and dollies and a gallon of bondo if these fenders are going to see use again.... I'm thinking he's got spares though.

The surprize is what's NOT on the inside !!! Valve cover has only been removed and set on the cart. Kinda clean.

...as is the rocker assembly...

...the oil plug removed it sat for an extended period and drained... this is the oil sump without one ounce of cleaning. The pan gasket didn't even get damaged while the pan was dropped !!!

The lower end looking pretty good, eventually we found it had been previously turned.

Block not too bad either...not going to need much but a hone run through it.

Piston/connecting rod assemblies as they came out of the block...not even a tiny bit of cleaning before laying on the cart. Just exactly as they were removed is what you see here. Wow !!

AHA !!!! Finally we have a part that is showing some wear !!! The ring gear is going to have to be replaced !!!! If this was MY tractor the list would include sleeves, pistons, rings, valves, and a ton of machine work....I think he's been paying the preacher a little more on Sunday mornings and is receiving some Divine Intervention or something..

A week ago it was pointed out to me that SOMEONE had borrowed his engine stand and has it setting with a 350 Chebby 4 bolt on it and hasn't returned it....soooo what's your point I asked....I work slowwwwwwww you know. Well, he had to knock another one together real quick because my three AND his other one are all tied up at my shop. :oops: :oops: :oops: I'd better go home and get busy and quit taking all these pictures.....

Side shot to show the quick stand but I can't hardly see it for the shiny glare coming off the inside of the bores !!!! I don't think I've ever had the pleasure of opening up an engine that is as clean as this. The pistons are oversize and the crank has been turned and there is a good chance this engine hasn't seen but a little amount of work since the rebuild. Combine that with the clean burning of the propane and he has the recipe for one sweet running 260 !!! Man...I feel bad that he's GOT to replace that blasted ring gear on the flywheel though....maybe we can take up a collection.... More to come later.

G

·
missouri massey man said:
gordon1121 said:
You do see a few of the wide axle row crops up here but very few of the narrow front. Mostly standard axle around these parts.To answer your question about their plants, they started in Brantford Ontario and then moved to Toronto. From there they went to Racine with a plant and head office. They also had a plant in Batavia New York.

G

·
Looking at that ring tells me that it has the same old Massey problem. I have taken the ring gear off and turned it over with sucess.

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
How come I never get to tear one down that looks like that. I went back and looked to see if the hone marks were still in the cylinders. Every one I work on seems like I drive the pistons out with a block of wood and a hammer. Thats going to be a nice ride when you all get it going. By the way I like the jack idea on the engine stand, got a jack just like that one and a harbor frieght stand so you know it would be handy. Seeing that jack reminded me of when I was young. I had a old red wagon that I probably had a million miles on riding it over a hill at the house, I used to jack it up with the old jack one corner at a time take the wheel off and oil the bearings. Must have worked to cause they might have got warm a few times but kept on going. Wonder how many kids today can do that. ;) :) :) :)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Sure says some thing for butane power. Guy I bought mine from said the drain oil from his went to the plews oiler for all the oil cup equipment he had. Said it felt like a waste of such clean oil to oil the drive way with it.

:D Al

1 - 19 of 19 Posts