Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The old fashioned way, back in February of 1984. The cats were waiting for a squirt of milk. The gray one would stand up on his back legs to catch . This pic made the front page of The Western Producer back in 84.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
What a cool pic. I remember those days when I was a yougen. Barn cats would always know when it was milking time!!!!

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Love that pic. Done that milking job.
Been swated in the face more than once with a cow's tail. :roll:

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
bettyp said:
Love that pic. Done that milking job.
Been swated in the face more than once with a cow's tail. :roll:
You saying this reminded me of the pic CTPhil posted over on member pics :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Where he had the cows tail tied back!!!

·
Registered
315 Posts
We always had a cat waiting for a squirt, that was in the 60's. my Dad always told the joke about the guy that got tired being swated in the face so he tied a hammer to the tail, he didn't wake up until the next morning :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks for posting the picture

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
mike1111 said:
We always had a cat waiting for a squirt, that was in the 60's. my Dad always told the joke about the guy that got tired being swated in the face so he tied a hammer to the tail, he didn't wake up until the next morning :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks for posting the picture
:eek: :eek: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Things are funny now since not milking cows any more. But had this one cow that always me to milk her. We call her Nervie because she was a nervious cow.She the one that would swat me in the face.I would tie her tail to her leg before I started and you might as well prepare for something to happen because it was before you got her milked. She would someway work that tail loose and swat you in the face or the worst set her big foot in the buttom when you were about half finished. You could count on never getting relaxed milking her. Then you had to throw the milk away. Funny now but wasn't then . :roll:

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Funny you say that cause I remember growing up thinking couldn't wait to not have to full with that morning routine and now how they are some of the best memories ever. Had to love the individual personalities of those ole cows and how they somehow always got the last laugh :D :D :D

·
Registered
438 Posts
That picture brings back fantastic memories. What I always loved was watching the cows all come in the barn going to the exact same Stanchion every time.All the cats would come out of nowhere, just like some of you described.My Uncle always squirted me when I least expected it. That picture is way more than milking cows for me,it reminds me of much simpler times. I can't go back phyiscally, but I did go back in my mind and remember some of the best times in my life.Thanks for posting. :D

·
Super Moderator
8,447 Posts
I love the pic, too, and have been there and done that. It's sad that we had to grow older though to really realize how good we had it back then. ;)

At the time, what were we thinkin'? When I grow up, I want to be ---------fill in blank. How many chose farmin' back then? I don't ally remember havin' a career goal back then, but I'll bet farmin' wasn't in the picture. :(

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Glad you all enjoyed the photo. Yes, every cow knew her place and came in the barn for a tin of chopped oats. Tied up and waiting to be milked. This shot was winter time so they spent the night inside the barn warm and comfortable protected from the Sask. winter. Notice the tail is kept well trimmed . Also we had a battery clip hanging on every partition which could be clipped onto the tail to stop it swinging when necessary. Milking those few cows paid for the groceries for years. Still got a few old cream cheque stubs around here somewhere.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Rusty,
Like many others mentioned, the memories came rushing back. We had a old easy milking Guernsey that I learned to milk on. I had to learn on my own, as my grandfather was really sick and couldn't help. Several tear-filled nights before Grandma gave me some tips. I was milking three cows after awhile. We also had a small electric cream separator, to provide grandpa with skim milk. Man was that cream good!
Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
294 Posts
rusty6 said:
The old fashioned way, back in February of 1984. The cats were waiting for a squirt of milk. The gray one would stand up on his back legs to catch . This pic made the front page of The Western Producer back in 84.
What do you mean, "old fashioned"? That's how I do it twice a day every day. :D

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
CTPhil said:
rusty6 said:
What do you mean, "old fashioned"? That's how I do it twice a day every day. :D
Good for you, keeping up an old tradtion. I don't really miss the job. We used to milk around ten cows by hand twice a day. Gave you a good strong grip thats for sure. I've still got cows but let the calves do the milking now.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I did a little, a very little milking. The cattle raised here are the other kind. Looking at those cats makes me wonder if its not more than just a food issue. I kind of wonder if they aren't having sheer fun out of milking time too. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Those cats knew that was better milk than they normally got. We used to separate the milk and sell the cream. Skim milk was fed to pail fed calves or pigs. If you have ever run a cream separator you will know that when the skim milk pours out the spout it forms a "head"", heavy layer of foam. We always skimmed that foam off and gave it to the cats and they ate it up like kids eat cotton candy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts