Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I am way too busy to go to any tractor shows (or spend much time on forums) but I still want to get my 2 banger fix. So I am thinking of making a quick and dirty 2pt hitch adapter so I can hook my 72” finish mower up to one of my A’s and be able to mow the pasture with the old Deere. Anyone see any issues or pitfalls I haven’t thought of?

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Should work. May need a PTO adapter and an over running clutch. If you're not worried about lifting it you would just need two floating links, if the depth is set by the wheels on the mower that is.

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
a friend of mine put 4 wheels and a wagon hitch on his brush hog to pull behind his A. works realy good to

·
-Willy-
1,420 Posts
Only pitfall I know of is if you have brand new lugs on the A. The lugs may tear up any soft ground or leave ruts. Otherwise do something about the sway. Chains or sway bars.

If it is the finish mower I remember you already have casters on each corner to set the height.

I included a pic for the rest of the posters whom dont know about finish mowers.

Actually? I would love to see a vid of you using it on youtube.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
i think it will be fine.

since most finish mowers have 4 wheels anyway.. all you really need is a pulling drawbar and pto hookup.

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
Lovesthedrive said:
Only pitfall I know of is if you have brand new lugs on the A. The lugs may tear up any soft ground or leave ruts. Otherwise do something about the sway. Chains or sway bars.

If it is the finish mower I remember you already have casters on each corner to set the height.

I included a pic for the rest of the posters whom dont know about finish mowers.

Actually? I would love to see a vid of you using it on youtube.

ive got the same mower here. cuts a 6ft path. only thing I don't like about it is if the belt needs changing ya gota take it half apart to do it

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Yeah...and the belt on mine needs changing :roll:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, As soon as I get time to work on it I will post up some pics.
I got a good zero turn mower for the up close yard areas, I mainly use the finish mower to mow about 3-4 acres of open pasture. I keep the tractor in a carport on site so there should be no need to make it actually lift the mower.
Since the A does not have live PTO I will still have to use my modern tractor for bush hogging and cleaning up the other areas of my land. The bad part about that is having to take the 3pt backhoe on and off to swap to bush hog. At least if this works I can use the finfish mower without swapping attachments.

·
-Willy-
1,420 Posts
You just need a better ZTR. Mine I can mow an acre in 45 mins with the handles all the way forward.

Click on picture for larger image. I can do a foot ball field in 45 minutes, less if you dont mind me sliding sideways and tearing up the lawn in the turns.

·
-Willy-
1,420 Posts
Depends on how rough. Set the deck at 4" and only has to deal with ant hills, not bad at all. Hit a wheel rut at 10 mph and it is quite a ride!

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
that's what I was thinking.

a guy down the road tried, in futility, to cut his pasture with a ztr a couple times. I don't see the ztr anymore. I think it killed it :(

·
-Willy-
1,420 Posts
If you want it to cut really tall grass. You need to remove the front shield of the mower. Then it will cut anything, small trees included.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got the mower attached today and mowed some with it. It felt great to actually work the old popper!
It worked great, I started out slow but by the time it was over I was running 4th gear, it mows almost as fast as my modern 48hp hydrostat tractor.
I got yall a couple pics and vids (last two are videos);

·
Administrator
4,283 Posts
Looks like it's doing a good job. You've got a nice looking place. :D
The A sounds great, and makes you look good too. :cool:
You know what they say; "The tractor makes the man". ;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks folks, it was good to get the old A all heated up and working again, felt like I was 8 yrs old again.
The temp gauge got up over 200* but she never boiled or steamed, I did find a couple oil leaks. I think I am going to change oil and check her out good and use this rig to mow the field all summer, if she holds up.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts