Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm buying a '51 model A with a stuck motor for the 3 point that's on it but I was thinking about making a pull tractor out of it. Does the '51 have the six speed and lower first gear than my '48 or was that just in the smaller tractors?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
79FordBlake said:
The "straight" 6 didn't come about for the A until mid to late 1950. In a stock class you can pull the straight 6 A with no modifications and you probably win occasionally.
Well that's great news!! The only hitch is that the local club doesn't have a 5000 lb class so I either have to lighten it enough to get in the 4500 pound class and tweak it a little to get a max of 45 horsepower or I have spend enough money on engine mods to make 55 horsepower so I can compete with the G's and M's in the 5500 pound class.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I weighed my '48 and it came in at 5120 lbs with me on it and I've been told that an A can loose about 600 pounds just by going to steel rear wheels. After that I'd remove the hydraulics, oil bath, generator, and a few other parts here and there.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Who makes them? I've googled the heck out of it and all I can find is OEM stuff for the older A that doesn't have the battery box perch.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd sure like to get an aluminum flatback but from what I've gathered so far it looks like the one offered by k&k doesn't have a hole for the pto shaft and the local pulls require one so they can dyno any tractor. The search continues........

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd sure like to get an aluminum flatback but from what I've gathered so far it looks like the one offered by k&k doesn't have a hole for the pto shaft and the local pulls require one so they can dyno any tractor. The search continues........

1 - 6 of 6 Posts