Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently purchased a Model M Allis Chalmers crawler tractor and it has a dozer blade on it the tractor starts fine but the blade will not move, it has fluid in it is there a lever to engage the PTO? It has a rear mounted PTO.

·
Super Moderator
1,624 Posts
Get your PTO spinning, check the level of hydraulic oil in the reservoir, if there is a filter and it's clean, then check the movement of your control levers to see if they are operating correctly, if there is fluid flowing from the pump to the control unit, it should work, It seems to me as though you are not getting the pressurised flow from the pump to control unit.It doesn't have to be real high pressure, but it does need a flow of strength.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Get your PTO spinning, check the level of hydraulic oil in the reservoir, if there is a filter and it's clean, then check the movement of your control levers to see if they are operating correctly, if there is fluid flowing from the pump to the control unit, it should work, It seems to me as though you are not getting the pressurised flow from the pump to control unit.It doesn't have to be real high pressure, but it does need a flow of strength.
I have tried all these things there is no movement of fluid in the reservoir and thats why I thought the PTO might not be engaged, I guess I will have to remove the pump and see if the shaft is turning because I have found no control anywhere to engage it.

·
Super Moderator
1,624 Posts
Also the internals of the pump may have come unstuck from the drive shaft. There is usually a pin or a key way, the shaft that drives the gears in the pump sometimes these sheer or just wear out. Has the pump got a name or name plate on it.?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My M dozers must have the clutch engaged to run the rear PTO. I'm wanting to change that to the front of the engine pump and conceal a tank somewhere

1 - 5 of 5 Posts