Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have dad's 1950 M and want to start it up for the first time in 20+ years. I'm going to change the engine oil and filter and service the oil bath air cleaner. The tractor is original so the bearings are well worn and it hand cranks freely but I don't want to damage the dry bearings when spinning to start.
Should I be concerned about pre-oiling the engine after all these years?
Thanks, Ben

·
Registered
477 Posts
First of all, I'm not a John Deere guy but; You should be able to disconnect the line to the oil pressure gauge at the engine, and using a volume gun, or something similar, push oil into the lube system, if you're concerned.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Skipper. I've seen pre-oilers that use compressed air to lube the entire engine (through the pressure gauge port) but maybe a JD guru will let me know if I can take out the distributor and drive the oil pump on this model.
Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
8,072 Posts
Check the gas tank for cleanliness before adding any gas. Either pull the carb and especially look for mud dobber nests or put just a little fuel in it and open bowl plug on carb and see if fuel runs through the system and comes out clean and with a steady stream.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts