Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lot going on as always. Trying to get hay equipment operational and amount other things trying to catch up a little on tractor projects....

Now someone not long ago talked me into getting this H started once again. Those who know a little about my stuff know this thing has always been a little bit of trouble. Never charging, rarely reliable, burning oil and having antifreeze in the oil.

I had known for a long time it needed a head gasket with the amount of oil on the sides of the engine. But the thought that it could also be the cause of the other issues did not occur to me untill after i was recently talked into starting it again. Just standing watching it run i noticed an oil leak. thats when it hit me

within a couple days work i had the head off and confirmed my findings it seemed

within a hour i had the gasket changed and head back on.

Fired it up a little later that day. No more smoke. I'm pleased to finally say it may no longer be infamous

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The next current adventure is the 1944 M. This tractor has been serving faithfully for 30 year around here.

Lately it has been having cooling issues. We decided to fix that and replace the manifold while we had it apart, since the old manifold is about worn out!

It also needs brakes so pulled the 3 point off to get in to those

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AS all projects seem to start we decided to take it a few steps further and do the clutch and some seals while we have it apart. Might as well as the clutch is on its way out soon...

Might go ahead and throw a coat of paint on it too for good measure. it happens! lol

·
Registered
341 Posts
I know the feeling Ray! Go up on the CASE board and checl out my project. Shoulda been out pf my shop by now but a bracket turned into head replacement followed by pistons and sleeves! Never ends!

·
Super Moderator
8,534 Posts
Once we start on one of these old tractors it is very easy to find things that need attention. The mind goes "Well, if I do this while it is in the shop, it will be even better" :!: Sometimes It is just hard to stop the addiction :!: :eek: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oops!!

new engine seals all around and a new clutch along with paint (still got to do those wheels and another coat or 2)

and at this point i have the front end back on just not a good picture at the moment.

Got a different head for it. the rough running mystery turned out to be cracked intake ports. Got a head and it turned out to be a 8060 which i was interested to find.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts