Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i friend wants a 292 chev motor that i have for his 66 halve ton .
he has a 427 chev for trade . its fuel injected one . will a manifold and fiywheel and distribtor from 1966 chevy 3 ton with a 366 fit ?
both motors are out of trucks .

·
Registered
312 Posts
Try some of the "hot-rod" forums or perhaps the 'chevy forums" to ask your question.

Years (decades ) ago, I did mechanic work. Mopar and GM parts fit around well--Ford was a ???? even some of the same model-same year stuff was tricky.

Good luck and keep us posted.

My brother had about a 76 dually tonner (CHEV) and had enough different engines in it to open a shop! He had 5 or 6 that I knew about and maybe some I did NOT as we were 300+ miles apart!

I know he had both small & big blocks against the same 4 speed transmission. Sorry, I don't know flywheel, bellhousing clutch details. I know I did not like his 4 speed! It had a huge gap between when 3rd ran out and 4th would actually pull! Loaded ended up with many many 3rd gear hills that my IHC woul have gobbled up in 4th with the same load and it just had a 304! But I had a great geared 4 speed- 3rd would run out to 55+ easily; so the engine had some decent r's up for the 4th shift.

The Chevy die-hards should be able to give good answers. The 292 was a good engine as long as it was the seperate intake manifold model! They can be made wicked also! If it is the one with the intake cast with the head I would not put it anywhere, other than a "CAR" or pickup that was to be used only as a car.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Neat thing bout Chebbys, all the bell housings interchange. They did have some external balanced engines so flywheels don't swap. They also had car and truck big blocks. The truck blocks had a higher deck height and used different manifolds.
Junk the whole mess and get a Ford. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
279 Posts
truck 427 and 336 distributors should interchange IF they both have the same type of cam drive. gear driven tall decks mount the distributor on the opposite side and have a different drive gear. A reman distributor to fit should be reasonably priced too.
366/ 427 uses the same flywheelas most of the other chev engines, 400 small block and 454s were externaly balanced. if the crank has a flywheel locator pin it may be externally balanced. OR like bikerdave says get a ford, that way you know nothing will interchange

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info guys .
not a real ford truck fan . but ford 1000 series tractors are about the best built .
yes all the 292 have the sepate manifolds .
i was almost sure the dist would change back and forth .
the flywheels not a clue about them .
now the big question !
where should this motor be in the line of projects . lol

·
Registered
906 Posts
Yeah, nuttin on a Ford interchanges. Seems like they forgot what Henry invented. He did invent interchangeable parts, didn't he? :lol: :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts