Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started out here with a borrowed 9N Ford tractor and back blade to clean the drive way. The tractor belonged to my dad who was using my 5000 Ford to skid and cut fire wood 3 pt. PTO powered buzz rig and do other farm chores.

Later on when Kare got me to collecting tractors I switched to a Massey Harris model 30 with a afro engineered 3 point system and back blade.
Only used that set up about 3 years then I picked up a Massey Harris Mustang model 23 with a 3 point. Then the last 20 years I have used a Massey Harris Pacer with a front blade.

My father law used a 1964 Simplicity land lord with a snow blower when the snow was deep and dry. He had a 1972 Simplicity 7112 with a blade to push the really wet heavy stuff or the less than 6 inch snow falls.
Just before he passed he did some thing to the land lord and it doesn't start and I haven't taken the time to fix it. Mom Got rid of the 7112 when she got a new Simplicity for mowing the lawn & the blade doesn't fit it.

So for a few years now I have been using a variety of equipment I have picked up here and there to use. Finally last fall I decided to replace the craped out motor on a snow blower I found sitting out by the curb.

Old motor removed ready for the new one.

Good fit.

I did a impeller mod at the same time.

Thing worked so well in all conditions I am now searching for another one for here at home.

:D Al

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Looking good Al. I remember when you brought that thing home and posted about changing the motor. It worked out quite well.

I let a 6 footer slip by at an auction real cheap because I didn't want to blow snow by backing up all the time with a tractor. Well, that and the fact that at the time I didn't own a tractor with 3 pt. It would've been the perfect match for your 5000 or either of the two 4000's I just sold though.

It may have been a farmer engineered buggered up affair or it may have been factory I don't know. It was built very well though. Another reason I didn't keep bidding on it was we seldom get more than 6 to 8 inches at a time. This year we only had dustings to a couple inches.

·
-Willy-
1,420 Posts
I have used several snow blowers for tractors and found they are not worth the money to spend on them. A 540 pto doesnt turn the second stage fast enough to truly blow the snow. The last one I had was a Lorenz and it didnt do anything like the brochure posted. Ultimately I sold it through a tractor dealer and it went out west some where. The picture below is from when I used the Lorenz on the 4630 I had. There was a hydraulic motor turning it at 1000 rpm and you can see what it tried to do with 6 inches of snow.

Ultimately I stuck with a plow truck and never looked back. More fun to clear the snow when you arent freezing out side while sitting in a warm cab of a pickup.

On that walk behind you will find it will help if you have a shiny paint job inside the second stage. Also applying wax to it will also help. There are videos of people on youtube that are increasing the efficiency of their blowers with some welting attached to the edge of the blower reducing the clearance between the blower fan and shroud.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MMM friend has a blower on a MH model 30 WF, It is Mounted on the front used the lines from the depth trol to a cylinder up front to lift it from his hand crafted mounts. He made a couple bearing housing set ups to run a drive shaft off his PTO to the front.

Yes took me a while to change out that motor.

1964 Simplicity landlord with a 23DB/S 9hp engine single stage blower.

A rear mount pto powered snow blower is what my dad had and it was mounted on his 64 Ford 2000. It would throw the snow a good 50 feet. The 2000 didn't have live pto so he got a diesel Massey Ferguson 65. Now that thing would toss the snow even a heavy wet one 70 feet.

The one in the picture must have been a sorry unit with the impeller to open to do a good job.
Even the simplicity above is doing better.
I never saw a good brand 3 pt unit that didn't do a out standing job.

:D Al

1 - 4 of 4 Posts