Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

She says I'm sick and need help and I agree....I'm SICK of wrestling these chunks of wood by myself and I need HELP in the woodpile !!!!

Get a load of THIS one... that's a 6' ladder next to it and it almost goes to the third step...Gave the Stihl 440 a pretty good workout...

The wedge is 14", maybe 16" tall, and it is dwarfed by this fellow. Middle daughters co-worker needed this removed from her yard so she (daughter) and I loaded each piece with a two wheeled dolly up my tractor ramps. My dogs were barking for 3 days !!!

Whittling her down a bit at a time...I usually kneel the splitter to the ground, but these pieces argued with me and did NOT want me rolling them by hand up onto the beam !!!! Had maybe 12 pieces this size and one HUGE where the trunk split and went two directions, 24" each way. Then a lot of 24 inchers on down.

This is one of my small skidding tongs.. the big ones spread to 52". I eliminated the chainlinks that always bind up by heating a piece of 3/4" round stock and bent it into an oval, to let the small shackles slide open and closed without binding. After forming the oval, I ground the ends to a dull point then built it up with 7018 low hydrogen rod to make the connection. Sure is like dancing with the devil cutting this kinda stuff with the temperature in the 80's a couple weekends ago. I wouldn't hafta work like this if I had more'n two nickles to rub together... ;) :D :lol: :lol:

G

·
0 Posts
Thats a beast of tree for sure.
But wait, there's more :lol: :lol: :lol:

We've had some oaks 48"-54" dia. cut in 20" thick pieces. Them made some work. We'd lean em against a tree to dry. When they we're almost cracked all the way across then we'd quarter them with a mall and sledge. Then to the splitter.
This was the last one we cut up. Hasn't been split yet. It was chest high on me. We still have to haul them to the new place.

With my 25" saw you can see how much I missed by. Had to push it over with the loader and that center still didn't break. That piece is 40" tall.

·
Super Moderator
7,852 Posts
Wendell, did Mrs. Massey volunteer to help you, get you some help, or help you to your easy chair? :?: Does she help carry wood to the house or stoke the fire? It would seem very shallow and condescending on her part if she did not do at least one of those things.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Jim in NC said:
Wendell, did Mrs. Massey volunteer to help you, get you some help, or help you to your easy chair? :?: Does she help carry wood to the house or stoke the fire? It would seem very shallow and condescending on her part if she did not do at least one of those things.
Jim she did help Wendell ,she told him he was sick and needed help . I think that was enough. :) :) :) :)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jim in NC said:
Aw heck, Jim, MrsMassey is one of those 'good ol girls' that does it all. She packs a lot of wood in and stokes the fires most times. Back before her hip and knee issues she was my #1 on the hydraulic lever !!

Ron !! What a beast you have there. Biggest we ever cut that I can remember was 54" at the butt cut. The actual log diameter was closer to 48-ish. That was 10 maybe 12 years ago. I bet Colin had to work pretty hard on that one in the pictures. Sure is nice to have a young man, willing and able around....

And Betty, MrsMassey just treated me to a great supper at CrackerBarrel tonight !!

·
Super Moderator
7,852 Posts
bettyp said:
Jim in NC said:
Jim she did help Wendell ,she told him he was sick and needed help . I think that was enough. :) :) :) :)
I don't think THAT is the kinda help Wendell needs. :? :shock: :roll: :?: That is how I interpreted his message. :idea:

·
Super Moderator
7,852 Posts
missouri massey man said:
[quote="Jim in NC":6u6mq0a5]Wendell, did Mrs. Massey volunteer to help you, get you some help, or help you to your easy chair? :?: Does she help carry wood to the house or stoke the fire? It would seem very shallow and condescending on her part if she did not do at least one of those things.
Aw heck, Jim, MrsMassey is one of those 'good ol girls' that does it all. She packs a lot of wood in and stokes the fires most times. Back before her hip and knee issues she was my #1 on the hydraulic lever !!

Ron !! What a beast you have there. Biggest we ever cut that I can remember was 54" at the butt cut. The actual log diameter was closer to 48-ish. That was 10 maybe 12 years ago. I bet Colin had to work pretty hard on that one in the pictures. Sure is nice to have a young man, willing and able around....
And Betty, MrsMassey just treated me to a great supper at CrackerBarrel tonight !![/quote:6u6mq0a5]

Mrs. Jim is pretty much the same kinda girl. She helps with chores on the farm. Her biggest chore is keeping me outta trouble though. :oops:

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
Wendell from what I've seen of your pics and the size of your wood pile you aint sick your wore out. You and Petra are both handling some big timber but one that size makes a lot of heat.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
gordon1121 said:
Wendell from what I've seen of your pics and the size of your wood pile you aint sick your wore out. You and Petra are both handling some big timber but one that size makes a lot of heat.
Well, sometimes we just can't cut what we want, we have to cut what's available. If I remember rightly, Ron's big ol monster blew down in a windstorm (???) and this last one of mine had to come out of a ladies yard. If'n I had my druthers, I'd druther be cutting them 14" to 16"....they are much EASIER on my back !! Shoot Gordon, I don't know if all this exercise is making me fit and trim (yeah, right) without the cost of a gym or if it's making me old and worn out beyond my years...

Speaking of getting into trouble Jim, is the Missus gonna let you come to Caseman's show this year ?? We need representation from the Carolinas. I think Indiana, Missouri and Kentucky will have there delegates there.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Super Moderator
7,852 Posts
She would probably let me come if she came too. We both would love to make it, and we will just have to see where we are at that time. Haying would normally be winding down then, but farmers market veggies would be starting to come in big time. Put that together with gettin' my daughter's family in mom's house and re-fencing the pasture to mooooove a few cows over there are also works in progress. We can't really plan to come, but it will be a spur of the moment decision and then hope if we can come we can find a place to stay.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jim in NC said:
She would probably let me come if she came too. We both would love to make it, and we will just have to see where we are at that time. Haying would normally be winding down then, but farmers market veggies would be starting to come in big time. Put that together with gettin' my daughter's family in mom's house and re-fencing the pasture to mooooove a few cows over there are also works in progress. We can't really plan to come, but it will be a spur of the moment decision and then hope if we can come we can find a place to stay.
My dad would always say "There'll still be work yet to do when I'm dead and gone". And by golly he was right...seems like the harder a fellow works, the more work there is to do. I think he was telling me to slow down and enjoy things...which was something he was NEVER able to do. I know you'll be there in spirit if not in body... :D :D :D

·
Super Moderator
7,852 Posts
I shoulda added that we may be in litigation or court. :roll: :|

G

·
0 Posts
Jim in NC said:
Jim,

If ya can't make it, you've got my cell #. Just call during the show and I'll let ya say hello on speaker phone :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Sounding great to me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
7,852 Posts
petra79 said:
Jim in NC said:
Jim,

If ya can't make it, you've got my cell #. Just call during the show and I'll let ya say hello on speaker phone :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
That's a plan :!: :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts