Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tractor was running fine, what little I have ran it until yesterday. I started it to get it ready to cut my field and what I thought was oil but turned out to be water mixed with carbon (soot) from within the exhaust pushed out around the muffler connection and ran down over the carb and side of the engine and started to skip then stalled and has not fired since. I haven't taken time to do anything other than check the fire( which it has) and the oil which is new and still clean, coolant level is also good. The tractor has a newer muffler with a rain cap. My best guess is head gasket problems but not knowing anything about these engines I'm looking for any input as to what can cause this to occur when not running, I had the tractor running the day before and it ran fine. The engine spins over freely but does not fire off. Any help here would be appreciated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'll try another question....do these engines have wet sleeves? and are they replaceable? If it's a sleeve issue wouldn't there be water in the oil? TIA for any input here, I have an outdoor garage and would like to have an Idea what to have for the repair before I attempt a teardown.

·
Administrator
4,642 Posts
I wish I could locate your problem, but I've never worked on a little Farmall C.
According to the diagrams on the CaseIH website they do have wet sleeves.
I agree a breeched o-ring on a sleeve would likely cause a problem of water in the oil.
Best thing to do is get a head gasket (you're gonna need one anyway) pull the head off and have a look.

Reactions: Mcrafty1

·
Super Moderator
8,872 Posts
I remember reading that one can drop the oil pan on these wet sleeved engines and watch for coolant dripping from around the sleeves. That would put coolant into the crankcase.

Reactions: Mcrafty1

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wish I could locate your problem, but I've never worked on a little Farmall C.
According to the diagrams on the CaseIH website they do have wet sleeves.
I agree a breeched o-ring on a sleeve would likely cause a problem of water in the oil.
Best thing to do is get a head gasket (you're gonna need one anyway) pull the head off and have a look.
I agree thanks, that is what I'll do.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I remember reading that one can drop the oil pan on these wet sleeved engines and watch for coolant dripping from around the sleeves. That would put coolant into the crankcase.
True, I have not been near the tractor for a few days now, I'll loosen the crank case drain plug and see if water comes out...If not it may just be a head/head gasket issue. Thanks for the reply.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts