Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our little dachshund has this rash that can be anywhere on his body, but is mostly around his back belly and rear end. It almost looks like the mange, but we have been told by 4 vets it isnt. They give him some pills, it clears up, but a month or 2 later its back. The pills aint cheap, and all the vets say the pills are bad for his kidneys. Anybody ever hear of something it may be, and better yet, and cheaper treatment? I dont think it bothers him, hes never scrathing at it.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,862 Posts
John, try some vitamin E oil. Our Aussies have sensitive skin and we use it on them fom time to time. We have some capsules here and Mrs. Jim pricks them with a pin and squeezes out the oil and spreads it in areas that need attention. It has helped our pooches.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mike & Jim,

We have tried both of your suggestions. In fact the shampoo one of the vets gave us to try had vit. E in it, and it worked pretty good, but after a few days, it actually got worse, so we stopped using that shampoo, and tried the vit. E tablets straight to his skin. That didnt do anything, but get him, uh, well, excited I guess since its so close to that "area".

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stephenscity said:
John M said:
Well, they all did ask what he ate, and they seem to think thats fine.
Sorry don't have any more ideas. Will ask around though, How old is the dog and is it having any hair loss? Have a friend thats a dog breeder and will check with him.
Hes 12 now, and in the spots where the rash is, he is losing his hair, but it always comes back when the rash goes away.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
John M said:
Stephenscity said:
[quote="John M":3p4hcfa8]Well, they all did ask what he ate, and they seem to think thats fine.
Sorry don't have any more ideas. Will ask around though, How old is the dog and is it having any hair loss? Have a friend thats a dog breeder and will check with him.
Hes 12 now, and in the spots where the rash is, he is losing his hair, but it always comes back when the rash goes away.[/quote:3p4hcfa8]
Thanks I will check as soon as I get the chance.New he would ask that.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Ok, my friend said that with age etc it might be a mineral def. Especially if it just started. He suggested if you were willing to check with your local vet supply there should be a what is the same thing as a multiple vitamin. You could also try Cod liver oil. Neither would hurt him. Just passing on I really don't know , I know you don't want to hear this but he felt is was probably age related without any other obvious explanation. Good luck!!!
Oh he did say he was only guessing too since he couldn't see the dog.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

G

·
0 Posts
Yeast infection that has spread to his skin? sam (lab/chow) gets it on his neck once-twice a year.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Luke,

You may be on to something. I frequent a local outdoors website, and asked the same thing, and got 2 responces saying a yeast infection. Most are saying pyocerna, or something like that, but thats what the vets have been treating him for....We are making him an appointment Monday....again!

·
Registered
438 Posts
My son's setter had skin problems this year too. Our vet said it was allergy's. He gave her some pills and it has cleared up. I can't remember what the pills were. My son has thrown away the container.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts