Antique Tractors Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
You are doing maintenance that was neglected. Its not unusual with tractors to find them in that condition. Taking care of it you may get some good service out of it. Your compression in that one cylinder won't kill anything. Maybe you can get some compression back after some use. Detergent oil helps do that.
I know you are in a cold climate but I would use a heavier viscosity oil. You could install a block heater in a freeze plug. Plugging it in the night before a big snow makes starting in the morning so much easier on the engine
My hope as well. Want to change the oil a bunch of times, get more crud out. At the moment it has Rotella T4 15w-40 from the initial change. When the weather gets warmer the oil pan goes out and gets a good cleaning, valve seals and valve clearance adjust. The list is long, transmission oil, oil seeping here and there, hydraulics... Little by little I'll restore functionality first, then we'll see about the looks.

With work and family I have very limited time to work on the tractor but I sure like it whenever possible.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My hope as well. Want to change the oil a bunch of times, get more crud out. At the moment it has Rotella T4 15w-40 from the initial change. When the weather gets warmer the oil pan goes out and gets a good cleaning, valve seals and valve clearance adjust. The list is long, transmission oil, oil seeping here and there, hydraulics... Little by little I'll restore functionality first, then we'll see about the looks.

With work and family I have very limited time to work on the tractor but I sure like it whenever possible.
Its looking good.
You can pick your time to do those other service after its up and running. With that shutoff valve last longer if you don't crank it down hard when you close them. That damages the seat. Also that nut that compresses the rubber washer in the valve shaft ,
don't over tighten that. Feeling a little resistance is all you need. Its not something to manhandle.
You probably know that.
I don't let anyone touch my hydraulic jacks. Some people think tighter is better. I bring the valve up snug and give a little more twist. My jacks don't leak overnight. To tight damages valve seats

I asked a guy to turn off the tanks on my gas welder once. He cranked both regulators all the way in. It damaged the diaphram's in the regulators. It was a month before I needed it again. both tanks were also empty. That's what you get when you let a moron touch your equipment
I used the tank that day to heat up and remove a manifold bolt on his car. No thanks and cost me about 100 bucks. Sorry about my little rant.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Its looking good.
You can pick your time to do those other service after its up and running. With that shutoff valve last longer if you don't crank it down hard when you close them. That damages the seat. Also that nut that compresses the rubber washer in the valve shaft ,
don't over tighten that. Feeling a little resistance is all you need. Its not something to manhandle.
You probably know that.
Indeed, it's what happens to these valves in time, either because someone was too eager at some point or simply from many years of use. This new one definitely feels different when tightening, a little bit spongy, as opposed to like hitting a wall.

I don't let anyone touch my hydraulic jacks. Some people think tighter is better. I bring the valve up snug and give a little more twist. My jacks don't leak overnight. To tight damages valve seats

I asked a guy to turn off the tanks on my gas welder once. He cranked both regulators all the way in. It damaged the diaphram's in the regulators. It was a month before I needed it again. both tanks were also empty. That's what you get when you let a moron touch your equipment
I used the tank that day to heat up and remove a manifold bolt on his car. No thanks and cost me about 100 bucks. Sorry about my little rant.
Yeah, I hear you! You know what they say, no good deed goes unpunished.

It's actually one of the things that often cause all kind of problems, over tightening. Over the years what other people have done caused me quite a bit of pain. Once I was going up north on vacation, to a cottage. Stopped to get a coffee, got back in the car and cranked it, only to hear this loud bang from the engine. At the time I had a v8 crown vic, that was running on LPG (propane). Well, whoever worked on the spark plugs must've tighten one so much that it broke the threads and eventually the engine spit the plug out. Luckily a v8 runs pretty good on 7 cylinders a few hundred miles, with only a piece of wood holding the loose spark plug in place jammed against the hood. While on vacation, to break the monotony of midday sun I got some J&B weld and stuck the spark plug in there so at least I made it back to civilization without people thinking there's a machine gun in my engine. Got it fixed properly later with a bigger hole drilled, and sleeved.

I have a few other examples of this, but you got the point. :cheers:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
Thanks Mike! I already have the air to spark plug adapter. But will get the valve spring compressor! In fact I just ordered this type tool from ebay, not the exact one, but similar.

I don't know if you guys are really aware how easy you have it in the US. That tool from grainger looks great and inexpensive, but the shipping to Canada would kill me. In general, you have so many great online stores, so many options, and many with free shipping. It's not as easy here. But we get by I guess.

Here's another video that shows a tool like that used on a MF TO35.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks Mike! I already have the air to spark plug adapter. But will get the valve spring compressor! In fact I just ordered this type tool from ebay, not the exact one, but similar.

I don't know if you guys are really aware how easy you have it in the US. That tool from grainger looks great and inexpensive, but the shipping to Canada would kill me. In general, you have so many great online stores, so many options, and many with free shipping. It's not as easy here. But we get by I guess.

Here's another video that shows a tool like that used on a MF TO35.

That is a better spring compressor. I ordered that exact spring compressor yesterday as an upgrade from my old lever type.
I have heard others in Canada talk about shipping..
Many vendors seem to cater to the US. There are huge warehouses in California with Chinese goods.

I am getting hit with some high shipping charges ordering gears and bearings for my tractor. Some here only ship UPS. You buy a 4 dollar seal with a 12 dollar shipping charge. USPS flat rate is cheaper but not given as an option.
I have avoided buying my gears on ebay from India. Great prices but long shipping time. I have a feeling the us vendors selling these MF gears are also buying from India. Its all that's available. They look ok. Also a hell of a lot better than my worn out damaged gears. Some jerk ground the gears really bad instead of fixing the clutch. Chipped teeth .Oh Well.

Post some more pictures when you are working your. Hairy 33.

When I get all my parts Ill start a thread on my engine and tranny rebuild. Im up to about $1200. It needed to be done. Painful
The tractors worth the expense. My opinion

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Definitely worth!

Talk about stuff from India. Ordered new gauges from eBay a while ago. They weren't the exact model for the 33 but same dimensions. They came from India and took about 3 weeks to get here.

I had only about 45 minutes to work on the tractor yesterday so I tried to replace the oil pressure and water temperature gauges.

For some reason the oil pressure with the new gauge is very very low, like 4-5 psi whereas the old one showed about 16-18. I don't think there are any leaks at the fitting. Didn't have time to work on it more so it's going to happen probably next Saturday.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
This is the old gauge. Looks better in the photo than in reality. Now I don't know whether to trust the old one or the new one.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I knew there was a problem with the manifold, just didn't know how bad.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I haven't looked on ebay Is a new manifold available for that tractor.
Brazing cracks on manifolds works well but that one looks eroded to thin.
Those old manifolds were cast with dirty cast iron. They often had defects. Although that one lasted many years.
Hopefully a new one has Massey Harris cast into the front.
A new one would be nice.
That sludge is normal and I have seen worst. Run it for a year and you will know if it needs a rebuild. I can smell that sludge just by looking at it.:mrgreen:

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
There are new manifolds for the 44 or for the pony which were much more popular than the 33. I have looked for some time and no manifolds to be found anywhere for the 33. Will have to fix it myself. Perhaps weld a pipe floor flange at the top where the big hole is, and somehow fill up with steel around it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Tested the old oil pressure gauge by adding a digital one and I got my answer. The new gauge I had bought on ebay from India which showed 2-3 psi must be defective.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Tested the old oil pressure gauge by adding a digital one and I got my answer. The new gauge I had bought on ebay from India which showed 2-3 psi must be defective.

Brazing may be your best chance for a repair. They make a nickel alloy welding rod but that old cast iron has a lot of impurities in it. keep the broken pieces.
How many pieces is it broke into ?
I have read negative reviews about those gauges from India.
Its better that the gauge is wrong about the 3psi.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Unfortunately I don't have an oxy-acetylene torch, only a plumber acetylne-air torch. That's probably not good enough for brazing the manifold. I have a stick welder, but the youtube videos seem to suggest that cast iron manifolds cannot be welded normally, they will crack.

Many of the broken pieces are lost, it's how it came from the previous owner. Really not sure how it can be fixed, I mean, what to cover the missing pieces with.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You could fit piece of angle iron that is radiused on the inside corner could be fit t0 cover the top and front edge . Then fit that back piece in. If you do a nice job of fitting it it could look pretty good. You could then cut a hole and weld in a pipe fitting in for he muffler or weld your pipe flange on. A pipe fitting would have more threads. A 2 Inch NPT Bushing.
With some grinding you could fit the patch in rather than weld it on top. Not sure what you had in mind.
A replacement is probably scarce. It's is a mess. If it wasn't part of the updraft intake you could do some custom headers. I would use the nickel rod to tack it in then braze it. Brass and cast iron work well together.
If you fit it in and tacked it in with your stick welder then find someone to braze it.
You get four nickel alloy rods for about 12 bucks down here. It welds cast. Depends on the welder. Pre heat and slow cool

·
Administrator
3,899 Posts
I would at least try some salvage yards for the manifold. One never knows unless they try.
Do a internet search for tractor salvage yards in your area, and see what comes up.
I've used All States Ag for some things. They're about the largest with several yards around about.
https://www.tractorpartsasap.com/salvage-equipment.html

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Thanks guys! Been doing some searches and looks like brazing a manifold isn't a job for a beginner, even a crack is tricky to do due to the fact that the whole thing can crack after if not done right (pre heating and slow post cooling).

I'll make some phone calls to some local tractor salvage yards and see if anything can be found.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I will do that, just have been really busy with other stuff.

Tonight someone put a Massey 33 for sale on facebook marketplace, for $500, and it wasn't even far from me. By the time wrote the message to tell him I'll get it, SOLD! Oh well...

41 - 60 of 63 Posts