Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always been interested in this tractor ever since I was a little kid. It was "retired" before I came along and was parked in front of the garage at the farm for many years. I spend a lot of time playing on it as I thought it was cool looking tractor. I decided to take more of an interest in it recently. The info I found out from my dad was that our family are second owners. My grandfather had a 1941 Cockshutt that was giving him problems so he traded it in on this one, in 1953. I found a site where I can verify the # as my dad wasn't totally sure if it is a '43 or '44. Either way, when I went to take pictures of it last weekend, I noticed that the gas tank was missing along with the engine covers. I did find the engine covers laying against a fender by the seat, but no gas tank. I remembered that dad had removed it to get it cleaned and sealed but when I asked him about it, he can't remember what happened to it. I think I need to start searching. I did find a box labeled "Cockshutt lights" that contained the missing head lights. They were purchased at a swap or a farm sale.

Once I get a chance to download the pictures off my camera, I will post them up.

·
Administrator
4,281 Posts
Hello and welcome. :D Good to keep family tractors in the family.
Good luck getting it back up and running. Looking forward to seeing the photos. ;)

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Welcome aboard...cant wait to see the pictures :D

·
Registered
341 Posts
We have three tractors at a better the family since new its always nice to see that! Welcome aboard!

·
Administrator
4,281 Posts
Thanks for the photos. That would a nice one to get running again. ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. I am still searching for the gas tank, dad still is puzzled as to where it is. I really hope that I don't have to source another one from somewhere.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just a question. I remember the gas tank being green. As you can see in the pictures, there is green paint in various places on this 99. Was the paint scheme red and green? Other pictures I have found of other Cockshutt 99's are an all red paint scheme.

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
First welcome to the forum. I like the 90 and hope to see you get it back going. I found some pics and looks like your memory was right. Apparently they were sold in red or green some called Olivers and some Cockshutt from what I could tell anyway here are the pics I found.

This one looks like it was red and then painted over green. Maybe a dealer or customer's choice.

Hopefully this will help.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Some long overdue pictures and a progress update. I cleaned up around the 99 and finally found the gas tank! Didn't strap it back down yet but at least it's found! Mocked it up a bit and noticed that the exhaust manifold is FUBAR'd. Dad wants to weld patches on it, I want to find a good replacement.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Looking good. Will you be able to drag it out of the barn when the spring thaw occurs in June? :lol:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
soundguy said:
more pics too!

I'll get better pictures, I only had my cell phone. I was really worried that the gas tank was gone. Dad removed it and had it repaired and then painted it...and couldn't remember where it went. Turns out that when you get rid of all the crap around the tractor so you can actually work on it, you find things! Other good news is that I found the louvered engine covers for each side.

I prefer green on this tractor but that won't happen if Dad is involved. He hates green. Anyway, it's going to be a bit of a battle. He seems to think I can never find another manifold, and is intent on "repairing" the one we have. I call it "farmering" which has been the downfall of much of our machinery. Patching patches never works but for some reason, that's the way it's been. I always like to fix something right the first time, with quality parts, instead of cutting corners which just bites you in the ass later.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts