Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost ashamed to post mine after Nick's gem but,

I'm hoping for a good crankshaft and distributor off this one

I would like to do a SC someday, This one has been in the woods no telling how long with no spark plugs in it. I wont give up without a fight but I don't have a lot of hope for this one either. If not I'll have some parts When i do find and SC

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Tractor data says a SC weighs 4400 Lbs. Is that about right? seems high to me. I guess I'll find out when I bring it home.

·
Administrator
4,376 Posts
So are they projects or parts?
4400 lbs sounds about right to me. Give or take a part or two. ;)

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the VAC is parts, and not many at that
The SC I am going to try to get it freed up, we'll have to see.

·
Registered
341 Posts
According to my 1947 retail price list shipping weight on a SC with 11x38 6 ply rear tires is 3869#. The VAC with 9x32 tires was 2398#. I see the VAC has one 32" rim on the back. It might not be that hard to put it back together. There was a member on the old forum who bought a VAC in about the same shape but taken apart, and after an engine overhaul and some donor tractor parts it's a runner. The SC is an early one with the flat cast wheel centers. Nice haul either way!

·
Registered
294 Posts
LOL, now that you have a parts VAC you can start collecting them. Isn't that how it works? :)

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have 2 VAC's both pre eagle hitch that I put together to make one. I am hoping for enough parts to make 2

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
That Vac looks like it has a lot of good parts to me. The SC you never know sometimes they suprise you and I hope that's the case. Just wondering do you still have the 2000 you were working on?

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
I have drug home worse looking tractors!!
I have found that a rough parts tractor will have at least one part on it that is better than the same part on a good tractor.
Thanks for posting.
Nick

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I want to thank 1031d for pointing out that that is a 32" tire. I went today for the last tractor a MM and asked him, we went behind the barn and found the mate to it. the rims are shot but both tires look good. If the rims are still available I may put them on one of my VAC's if not I may see what a used matched set is worth to finance some more parts.
Gordon I am still working on the 2000 from time to time but progress is slow.
according to Tractor data the VAC is a 1945 and the SC is a 1941 That makes the SC the oldest tractor I own.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Bruce, new 32" rims are available, if you have troubles finding them consult the sticky message at the top of this forum. How bad are the rims? I have half a rim I've been stealing pieces off of.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I found them, they think a lot of them. I did not realize they used that many sizes on these.
Restoring the VAC's will be a project for the future, plenty of time to decide.

·
Registered
341 Posts
in all reality prior to 1951 VAC's only came with 32" or 28" rubber, most common being a 8(9.5)-32 and 10(11.2)-28. after serial 5570000 they introduced the 34" rears. VAH came with 36" tires. I've always thought the 32" rubber looked better on a VAC without Eagle Hitch.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did some of the VA series come from the factory without an oil filter? this one is blanked off, looks professional not like the blanking plate on the hyd pump. which is certainly not factory. Got the motor in the shop, don't have the oil pan off yet. distributer is locked up but may still be usable.

·
Registered
341 Posts
oil filters were an option until 1949 when Eagle Hitch came out. You have to be careful with the bases because there were 3 different types. There was an aluminum one that fits them all but warps easily. There was also 2 different cast iron ones and the offset from the block is different. Some will not provide clearance for the throttle rod.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the info. I'll probably add one. On the SC is there no dipstick into the crankcase? the 2 plugs in the oilpan are where you check the oil I guess?

·
Registered
341 Posts
BruceG34 said:
Thanks for the info. I'll probably add one. On the SC is there no dipstick into the crankcase? the 2 plugs in the oilpan are where you check the oil I guess?
yes. take out the top one and oil runs out all is well, if nothing remove the bottom and if oil comes out fill until it runs out the top. nothing runs out the. bottom someone was slacking! :eek:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts