Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
224 Posts
Re: My new project B Im bout to drag home!

osly71 said:
Well, I did it! Got the ol B out in the woods for 300, I think I did pretty darn good, those fenders are in great shape, I'd say they ought to be worth what I paid for the whole tractor. Gonna be an interesting project to say the least. It will be my first major project. The engines froze up so thats the first project at hand well after getting it out of those woods. Its been there since the 70's but the tank and hood and all the parts you see missing were put in a enclosed trailer so shes all there. Still dont have it home yet but Ive been dreaming all night and day of hearing that double lunger run. Anybody have any advice on where to start with this thing or the easiest way to get that engine unstuck?

It has been over a month now. How is it going with that tractor? Have you started working on it?

Some suggestions on unsticking the engine on a tractor that had been sitting for a long while. Consider that the pistons may not be the only thing stuck. If I were you, I'd take off the valve covers and remove the rocker arm assembly and check to see if the valves are not stuck. I would also consider that the oil pump may be stuck. There is a square coupler between the pump and the cam drive that often breaks when folks try to unstick the pistons. With this broken, there will be no oil pressure when the engine starts.

To unstick the pistons, make sure there is no water in the cranking box. Maybe fill it with diesel to nearly the top of the pistons. Put penetrating oil in the spark plug holes. Put a bunch. Know that there are 4 compression rings at the top of the piston and one oil scraper at the bottom skirt of the pistons. It will take some soaking to get the oil all around.
Lastly, there are 2 pressure relief valves on the bottom of the cylinders that are used to reduce the pressure when trying to start the engine by hand. Open the valve and using the straw that comes with most penetrating oil, spray as much penetrating oil up in there as you can.

With all of that done. Attach a bar to the flywheel and start trying to rock it back and forth. The longer the bar the better.

Let us know your status. We are very interested.

· Registered
224 Posts
Re: My new project B Im bout to drag home!

I read an article about a guy doing research about penetrating oil and it came out inconclusive as to which one was the best. Sort of a 5 way tie.

Get the one you can get easy and cheap. I like blaster because of the nozzle. It can spray and shoot a stream depending on the pressure you apply to the spray head.

About the rain, Down here in Spring we got 4.5 inches this weekend. Will be some time before it dries enough to move a heavy tractor.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.