Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
3,960 Posts
I always loved those model IH. We had a '55 half ton pick up when I was a kid.
I don't remember what happened to it that made Dad cut her frame in two with a hacksaw.
But, it made a good trailer for the farm, and the hood made a great sled on snowy days. ;)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BigDaveinKY said:
I always loved those model IH. We had a '55 half ton pick up when I was a kid.
I don't remember what happened to it that made Dad cut her frame in two with a hacksaw.
But, it made a good trailer for the farm, and the hood made a great sled on snowy days. ;)
Now that is an interesting co-incidence. At the auction sale where I bought this R160 the other bidder had exactly the same plan. Cut it in half behind the cab and make a trailer out of it. The engine wouldn't start at the auction but it didn't take me long to get it running. I knew it was too good to cut up.

·
Registered
906 Posts
A neighbor had a fifty five one ton six cyl. Used to load a cord of pulp wood on the truck and two and a half on a tandem trailer, took him a half mile to get outta first gear! First thing I ever drove with fenders. Wish I had it now. Thanks for the pictures. :D :D

·
Registered
312 Posts
The old IH's were sometin else!

Decades back I had a 62-- 1/2 ton short box-- 3 speed---- torsion bar front end under it. Someone had converted the 264 into it! It was just un-real for what it would pull like. You could drop to 8 miles an hour in 3rd and recover on a flat road! ( I found out what the engine was when I took the oil filter # into the IHC dealer to get the right one; as I had not been able too before!) I must have tried 3 or 4 before i gave up and went that route.

It even started below ZERO!~ Not very many IH 6's did! The ignition messed up TV's for about 1/2 mile in any direction whae it was running.

Great old pickup.

Very poor excuse for a heater though!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts