Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbor has a 550 gas s/n 850519, which seems to make it a 1960. It belonged to his FIL. It has been setting in an open shed for about 10 years. I have told him several times that we should get it into my shop and see if we can get it running. We plan to do just that this weekend (in my shop, not running) :lol: :lol: :lol: . The problem is, This is the only one that I have ever looked at. First thing we need is an operators manual. Where is a good source for a good manual. Several sites on the net have them, but I would like some advice before ordering one.

For what little I can find, it appears to be a 12 volt. At least that is the worn out battery on it now. I have not found an oil pressure gauge yet. I want to prime the oil pump before trying to start it. Don't know if engine is stuck or not.

Not sure what I have gotten into.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Well, for starters I would drain everything. Remove the spark plugs and change the crankcase oil and filter. Remove the valve cover and make sure the valves are moving and check the valve lash. Spin the engine with the starter, after 30 seconds or so it should build pressure. After it builds pressure screw a compression tester into each cylinder and see what you get. Should be around 110-120#. If it's low puta little oil in each and test again. If it still dont come up then you need head work. If you have compression then refil the oil in the rest of the tractor, clean out the carb and get spark. It should run now. If it's been sitting a while it may need to have the oil changed after an hours run. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She runs! New battery, spark plugs, plug wires, dist cap, points, carb kit etc. Had to pull start to clear years of dirt daubers, wasp nest and mice nest.
Gas tank needs taking off to flush. New muffler and exhaust pipe on the way. Not charging. Genny is off to take to rebuilder to check. May go with one wire alt.

Flushed oil pan changed oil and filter. 20 lbs oil pressure.

Need cast iron clamp exhaust pipe to hood and rubber hose from air cleaner to carb.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts