Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help from someone with knowledge about these old tractors. Based on the serial number (121991), I believe I have a 1960 model 601, 4 speed. While bush-hogging, I got hung up on a stump and broke a part that I have been unable to find a replacement for online. I also don't know how to get the old part off. I think it might be called the clutch arm or clutch linkage, but like I said, I can't find the part online, so no part number. Any help would be greatly appreciated. What is the part called? How do I remove the broken part? And where can I find a replacement? Thanks in advance if anyone can offer any advice. Here are some pics:

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Administrator
4,107 Posts
Hello and welcome.
You can find parts diagrams here...... Get Genuine OEM Parts and Replacement Parts | New Holland AG | MyCNHi US Store
However they just recently changed their site and only show part numbers and names for what parts they still sell.
The parts diagram shows that as one piece with the rod that goes into the housing and bolts to the clutch fork.
So I'm assuming it was pressed together at the factory. A salvage yard like All States Ag would be your best bet to find one.
Do an internet search for "tractor salvage yards" or "used tractor parts" in your area and see what comes up.
Also put an ad on classified sites like craigslist. Never know if someone close might be parting one out.
Another option is that a good machine shop might be able to fix it. Unfortunately that's the only options I know of.

·
Super Moderator
8,072 Posts
Sorry for your problem. I'd certainly try heating it to remove it. Looks like cast so one would have to go a bit slow. I think a good welding shop could braze it . It's ironic because sometime this winter I need to help a neighbor free up the same part on a 8N so we can adjust the clutch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello JY,

Have you found a solution for this yet?

I believe that the arm and shaft must be serviced together. On the earlier 4 speed transmissions, the arm was removable, but that changed in '57 or '58.

Using part #313557 - release shaft, I found this:
RELEASE SHAFT

I found the part # here, in a post from Soundguy:
Looking for salvage part, Ford 4000

He made several posts, so you'll have to look at all of them to find what you need.

regards,

oldjohnny

ps: if you don't mind me asking, what part of georgia are you in? I'm just outside of Macon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello JY,

Have you found a solution for this yet?

I believe that the arm and shaft must be serviced together. On the earlier 4 speed transmissions, the arm was removable, but that changed in '57 or '58.

Using part #313557 - release shaft, I found this:
RELEASE SHAFT

I found the part # here, in a post from Soundguy:
Looking for salvage part, Ford 4000

He made several posts, so you'll have to look at all of them to find what you need.

regards,

oldjohnny

ps: if you don't mind me asking, what part of georgia are you in? I'm just outside of Macon.
Thanks for the info; I believe that part number will come in handy. I have a couple guys from All States Ag Parts checking for me.

So it looks like the only way to replace the arm is to split the tractor in half then?

·
Administrator
4,107 Posts
Another thought .......if you have enough threads to hold the adjuster bolt securely, you could fabricate an arm from flat steel and weld it on the end.
Not gonna look original, but would work, and no need to split the tractor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts