Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I've been hauling some old cars and trucks off for my little old neighbor lady because she needs the money and what happens !!?? Her well goes out and she needs to spend more money... :cry: :cry: :cry: This doesn't look like much here, but it is going to pull her well.

I used an old axle, made a channel iron frame and stuck some bosses out of 1/2" plate to hold the arms....Now a pre-story...back when MY well went out within 30 days of the warranty expiring, I had to pay $225 to have the installer pull it and fix some leaking threads caused by electrolosis. This was 1980 and $225 was big money to me. I swore I would NEVER pay anyone to EVER pull my well again. So promptly began the process to figure out what to build and how to build it and started combing the construction hoppers for materials and this is what I came up with.

Sorry for the shade, but 2 1/2" pipe, 18' long are used for the arms that pivot on the bosses. They are assembled and set on pipe stands at thigh height. See the 2" pipe with all the holes, thats one of the two outriggers for leveling.

Next goes the three legged contraption, built out of 3" scrap. It slides over the two 2" arms and pins in place with 3/4" all thread.

Into the middle leg of the three legged contraption slides the telescoping pole with the pully on the end. 2 1/2" pipe with holes spaced to allow a total height to exceed 30 feet. I know, pipe lengths are typically 21' and schedule 40 pvc lengths are 20', but sometimes you have to lift out through a roof..

My neighbor lady's situation illustrated that point right here...gotta remove part of the roof. Now, see the short pole in front of the frame with the cable going through at an angle??? That pole has a snatch block attached to allow my power supply to raise and lower the entire tripod (so to speak).

The cable pulling from that angle allows elevation with little effort on my part. When I first built it, I had to muscle the end of the rig above my head in order for the winch to start pulling it up, this way I don't.

Anyway, this is the power supply... a pawn shop Rigid hand held pipe threader, a half ton cast iron bodied winch and some old blower bearings and gears. At first I just powered it directly off the threader, but at only 32 rpm, it was a little slow. So I took a 3/4" socket extension to attach to the square drive input shaft on the winch, and welded it to the blower shaft with the gear mounted. Using a 3 to 1 ratio on the other end I got the rpm up to 96 now, and that is a perfect speed. Note the poor boy chain tensioner...good old grease soaked oak works just fine.

I try to use a tractor with a little weight for counterbalance, you know. However I did make 2" black iron adjustable outriggers...unfortunately not hydraulicly leveled, thats what the floor jack is for. Jack up one side or the other and drop the outrigger and put the 3/4" pin in the closest hole.

The three things I had to buy were the two gears and chain and the 12r one inch square drive die for the threader to power the input shaft. Ok, that's FOUR things, well, five if you count the master link... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nothing to do but start a pulling....sit the casing jack over well casing thread on the home made swivel and push the button....up she comes. The swivel is a 1" black iron coupling with a unistrut square washer and 5/8 eyebolt. I reached inside the coupling and welded the nut to the eyebolt so there is no chance of a back off nut giving me a bad day by dropping a well to the bottom...Pull 'em and drop 'em back down to lay on 4 x 4's to keep out of the dirt, because after all, they gotta go back into the drinking water ;) ;)

The evening before I had to cut down a couple cedars that were in the way and trim back another just to get the rig above the casing. You can't tell it here but it is on a pretty good incline... a 12" fall in 4' really throws a 30' stick off center and you want to pull as straight as possible. To make a long story short, her pump motor burnt up, so a trip to the local farm store netted a new one for install the next evening. Thanks to my daughter, Tessa and my sil, Mike for the exceptional help on the project. They are getting to be good help as this is about the 12th well they have helped me with. Not bad for a bunch of amateurs huh.. but true to my sworn word I haven't paid a well puller a penny since '81 or so. She sure was tickled to get water back on, having been out for three days total and carrying what was needed from my house in trash cans. Now if I can just get back up there and put that blasted roof back on.....

Packed up and heading for home still a little daylight left....

·
Administrator
3,964 Posts
You got 'er goin' Wendell. ;) My Mom and Dad's well would have made that rig grunt. It was 409' deep.
Mine I can pull by hand when I need to replace the foot valve. It's 15' deep.
I like the pony motor, power head, whatever you all call it, you put on there. Bet it pulls good. ;)

·
Super Moderator
7,868 Posts
Very good engineering Wendell. I couldn't imagine havin' to have a rig like that to work on my and family's wells. We pull pipe out by hand. :oops:

G

·
0 Posts
You da Man Wendell. Nice fab work and great heart..........Thanks for being you Sir :cool:

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
What a nice guy we have on ATF . That was a lot of work but know you made a needed lady happy . Thanks for sharing this post.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, for the kind comments. Especially you, MissBetty.

Dave 409' would be a good one for sure, but this contraption would handle it for sure because mine was originally 420' in galvanized and I pulled it twice then changed it to schedule 40 pvc the third time and have not yet had a problem. My SIL is also same depth and before he and my daughter bought the property next to me, I'd pulled and changed it from galvanized too to pvc.

Jim the deepest one I ever pulled by hand was 250', and it was pvc and my grip was shot by the time the pump motor got to the top. I swore also I would not do that again unless it was way less than 250. Most all around here are 300' to over 500'. I just pulled another neighbors last fall at 462' in galv. (22 sections) and put back 23 sections of pvc to get 460'.

So yeah, there's always something enjoyable to do around here while resting up for the work day.... :lol: :lol: and... I still gotta go back and put the roof on...

Ron, if we lived closer together, I would even let you join in the fun !!!! :D :D :D

·
Super Moderator
7,868 Posts
Most dug wells in these parts are 50 to 80 ft deep. Bored ones are much deeper. My new bored well is 180 ft deep with the pump set at 120ft. A neighbor across the hollow has one over 400 ft. deep.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jim in NC said:
Most dug wells in these parts are 50 to 80 ft deep. Bored ones are much deeper. My new bored well is 180 ft deep with the pump set at 120ft. A neighbor across the hollow has one over 400 ft. deep.
Well, Jim with wells that shallow, you sure wouldn't have the need for this thing. I can see why you pull 'em by hand. Nothing that shallow around here. Shortest depth I can recall is 210'. I'm getting to old to try even that short a pull by hand anymore.... :( :(

Ron, you are just plain spoiled with that depth !!! :D :D

G

·
0 Posts
Shallow wells????????????????? Just put 2 points in the ground this morning for a well for my garden. They are both under 15' and it's good clean drink outta the hose water. How's that for shallow :cool: :cool: :cool: Jetted them in with a 2" pvc pipe. Took about 10 - 15 seconds each. I'm happy :D

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
petra79 said:
Shallow wells????????????????? Just put 2 points in the ground this morning for a well for my garden. They are both under 15' and it's good clean drink outta the hose water. How's that for shallow :cool: :cool: :cool: Jetted them in with a 2" pvc pipe. Took about 10 - 15 seconds each. I'm happy :D
Man that's great Sounds like all you need is a good post hole digger for a well!!!
Just curious though here we have to get a permit from the HD to sink a well guessing ya'll don't?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
petra79 said:
Man !!! Fifteen feet ??? Never heard of such a thing here... The water table up in your parts must be as high as down in Louisiana, Ron. Do you have basements in the houses up there ? Guessing Uncle Sam does not have missle silos to close to you... :lol: :lol: :lol: I'd just thunk everyones wells were 400 to 500 feet.

G

·
0 Posts
missouri massey man said:
petra79 said:
Man !!! Fifteen feet ??? Never heard of such a thing here... The water table up in your parts must be as high as down in Louisiana, Ron. Do you have basements in the houses up there ? Guessing Uncle Sam does not have missle silos to close to you... :lol: :lol: :lol: I'd just thunk everyones wells were 400 to 500 feet.
Yep, have a basement. My main well is around 18' from what the previous owner told us. Though I think that one is sitting at the top of the water. I need to push it down another 4' - 8'.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
petra79 said:
missouri massey man said:
petra79 said:
Yep, have a basement. My main well is around 18' from what the previous owner told us. Though I think that one is sitting at the top of the water. I need to push it down another 4' - 8'.
Push it down another 4 to 8'....what exactly do you mean Ron??? Here we must have a minimum of 80' of 8" steel casing or schedule 40 pvc casing. Of course these must be installed by the well rig when the well is dug. Also to get pure water in this area it is recommended to drill until you pass through a shelf of "Roubideux sand".

G

·
0 Posts
Actually I'll probably just jet another line right next to this one and go the 4' - 8' deeper to get farther into the water. Not too familiar with wells. This is the first one I've ever had. I think if it was a SS point with steel pipe I could push it down but these are just pvc ones. Our ground is sand.

·
Super Moderator
7,868 Posts
Ifn we had as much water that close to the top of the ground like you Ron, I woulda had an irrigation system long ago. :shock:

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
petra79 said:
Actually I'll probably just jet another line right next to this one and go the 4' - 8' deeper to get farther into the water. Not too familiar with wells. This is the first one I've ever had. I think if it was a SS point with steel pipe I could push it down but these are just pvc ones. Our ground is sand.
Its just amazing to me the differences in water table across the midwest. My well cost $3500.00 to put in 32 years ago at 420', and right now, my neighbor lady would have had to pay $1400 to $2000 to have a regular company come out and pull hers like we did. It cost her roughly $400 for the new pump and around $100 more for the new pump control, ball valve, and misc fittings into and out of her bladder tank. All coming from the local farm supply store. There's no way she could've paid to have that done and would probably still be carrying water from my house. I'm beginning to think NW Indiana is the place to be for cheap water.....!!!!!! I'm really glad for you Ron, you've got it made in the shade !! :D :D :D

·
Super Moderator
7,868 Posts
Four years ago, I think Wendell, our new well was between 3500-4000. 6 inch well, 180 ft deep, pump set at 120ft., bladder tank, hydrant at well, wiring and waterline run to house, and yielding about 18 gal./ minute. With several dry years and NC threatening to put more restrictions on water, the time was right then.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts